Shipping small part from US to UK

Mikey08

Kona Fan
Ive bought a XTR brake from a guy in the US and hes shipping it to my friend in LA. Whats the best way to get it over here to the UK? Its only about 230g plus the packaging and fairly small. Will get slapped with extra costs for VAT etc?

Last edited:
My folks live in the US and send stuff to the continent occasionally for the kids. I am constantly shocked by the cost of shipping via USPS. US Postal Service only sends goods internationally via Priority Mail or more expesive now, I don't think they would let your friend send that as a First Class Letter anymore, although this used to work for small things.

And it takes forever. Speediness is not a the "Priority" you are buying with Priority Mail.

I would seriously look into FedEx or UPS. It might cost a tick more but they also seem to be able to whisk things through customs more smoothly (read with less duty) for one reason or another. But UK might be different.

On average, a UPS package is going to set you back a minimum of around $70 USD to the UK. And that's without declaring a high value and marking it as a gift, and before import taxes and anything else you might get charged on that end.

That's what it usually costs me to send a small box or padded envelope through work, and we get reduced rates.

USPS you could maybe get something small with a brake or derailleur etc, for $20-30? But don't quote me on that, because I never go to the post office!

And as the above says, it'll probably take a couple of weeks at least. UPS with be within 5 business days.

I do a lot of small parts shipments to the UK. Easyship.com gives you the best rates and most carrier options. Defiantly get the insurance as we have about 2.5% of our shipments go missing. Just be careful with the insurance value as it will drive your VAT cost.

I don't think so. People have travel bikes with Disc brakes and they do not bleed them.
I actually had an airline try to take away my empty liquid fuel camping stove because of "fuel residue" causing a fire hazard. I said by definition the stove itself doesn't have any because it is designed to burn the stuff away (which is of course and oversimplification, but I had brought the thing to my destination on the same airline and they presumably x-ray'd everything) and that I had let the bottle air out for several days, so it was also fuel free by this point.

They insisted and I handed it back to my friend who brought me to the airport, who held on to the thing for me. I guess safety is important, but sometimes consistency would be nice too.

I then went on to check my well lubed bike in as luggage without any issues...

Some flammable liquids are able to fly. I think it has to do with the flash point of the liquid.
Fir example I can ship shock oil around the world without by air without problem as long as it is double bagged.

Some flammable liquids are able to fly. I think it has to do with the flash point of the liquid.
Fir example I can ship shock oil around the world without by air without problem as long as it is double bagged.
Makes sense. Grease and white gas are two different things entirely. Sorry, didn't mean to drift the thread . . .

Ive bought a XTR brake from a guy in the US and hes shipping it to my friend in LA. Whats the best way to get it over here to the UK? Its only about 230g plus the packaging and fairly small. Will get slapped with extra costs for VAT etc?

When it comes into the UK, you "should" be charged VAT at 20%, duty at the rate for that item, which I think is 6% and then you'll get charged the customs clearance handling fee on the item. That last fee varies from courier to courier. You could miss some of all of these, and you can of course declare it as a gift, or zero value etc etc, but that is technically smuggling ;)

Back