Shimano STX SE FC-MC31 chain rings

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Do you recon thats my best chance to get sorted cherrybomb?

I have seen some new FC-MC33's aswell - no idea which is better / more period STX MC32, MC33, MC34 or MC36?

My MC31 has a nickel/bronzish colour - are any of the above arms the same color?

And finally - would you guys recommend finding second hand rings that fit my existing MC31 crank - or just hold out for new rings ?
My aim is to replace the extremely worn chain and cassette with new.

Re:

There's no telling what might turn up given some patience. From experience, the 'chrome' type finishes don't hold up too well over time if they're not looked after, I have several sets and they are all pitted to varying degrees.

The standard STX crank arms are chrome finish, the RC arms are a kind of smoked chrome and SE, as you know, a kind of bronze/brown chrome colour. I'm not sure what years they did the SE model, but the Shimano archive on here will almost certainly have the answer.

You do see nice early style (MC31-33) STX cranks come up from time to time & if your arms are in good condition then it may well be worth waiting out for a pair just for the rings.

BUT: Any rings available now are going to be used- there is an outside chance of finding some NOS but if you plan on using your bike, I'd be tempted to switch to a standard 94/58 crank.

OR. I guess the Pace adapter in the photo I posted earlier is going spare (I must be going mad!) so you could go down that route? ;)

Oh, and the Pace adapter is period correct too. :cool:

Re:

Unless I am wrong the outer ring on any other MC 32, 33, 34 or 36 are all 94mm BCD and not compatible with the MC31 being a 95mm BCD.

The small and middle ring are ALL compatible with the above though.

On my daily commute I am in the large ring all the time unfortunately.

I have found a brand new XT M737 crank set and rings but the guy wants £310 for it.

Re:

Not sure about that. As far is I understood. the MC31 to MC33 all used the same setup. The outer & middle rings bolt together with some spacers between. The middle ring has two sets of bolt holes, the smaller set is 58mm bcd. These are used to bolt the two outer rings to the arm, The granny ring uses the same mounting bolts. These chainrings aren't comparable with other cranksets- so may well be 95 bcd.

I've had all three models at one point or another & swapped chainrings around without any issues (although that may have been dumb luck).

Even if the outer BCD does vary, as long as you have matching outer & middle rings, it shouldn't make a difference anyway?

As I mentioned. The alternative is the Pace adapter which would allow you to use standard 94mm BCD chainrings.

Back