drexal77

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, i'm trying to re-build an old 1990 Alpine stars Al-Mega DX, but struggling as a newbie to the MTB build world. I love the Shimano FC-MT60 Deore DX Triple Chainset's so much and have wanted one on a bike since i was a kid, i've managed to find replacement centre caps now, as they were missing, but the chain rings are completely worn out. I have spent weeks looking for new compatible chain rings that will fit this crankset. All i've managed to find is old threads from years ago with a few brands that made them. But they now seem to not have anything on there sites for these old cranks. My only option is to try and by a whole complete crank in VGC just to get the chain rings off it, as even the chain rings i have seen for sale, aren't in the best condition. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Spa cycles do good prices on their own brand rings, used them myself and they are very good rings for the money.

If you can get it cheap enough then buying a chainset with rings may be the way forward.

Companies like Stronglight make compatible sizes - 110mm bcd for the two outers and 74mm bcd for the inner. SJS cycles carry a range

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/74-bcd-5-arm/?order=price+ascending
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/110-bcd-5-arm/?order=price+ascending
Thanks so much Ishaw, feel such a fool now. It was typing in 110mm bcd 5 arm that was the key to being able to find them. Thanks so much for the links. Even though i love the actual shimano original rings in the light alloy finish the strong light are very close. I just bought all 3x rings, so i'll use these for now and keep an eye out for VGC originals, thing is i then wouldn't want to use the actual originals for fear of damage and wearing them out 🤯

Spa cycles do good prices on their own brand rings, used them myself and they are very good rings for the money.
Thanks shaw, just had a look at spa, never heard of them before, but lovely looking rings, it was a little bit cheaper to buy strong light from amazon and ebay etc, but will def give these a go in the future thanks again for the help.

The Stronglight rings are also much, much better than the original Shimano rings which were soft and wore rapidly.

The Stronglight rings are also much, much better than the original Shimano rings which were soft and wore rapidly.
Ahh interesting thanks hamster, i've got a brand new chain to add and now with all these new rings, hopefully it will ride so much better

I use TA....same quality as stronglight.....last much longer. Just be aware that some rings may need very thin spacers as some (FSA) are ridged at the edges of the fixing lugs. This can interfere with the fit. Also, some rings have a deeper cut or dish to them or are physically thinner or thicker, meaning the spacing needs slight adjustment.

St Johns street cycles sells all thickness of spacers quite cheaply though.

I use TA....same quality as stronglight.....last much longer. Just be aware that some rings may need very thin spacers as some (FSA) are ridged at the edges of the fixing lugs. This can interfere with the fit. Also, some rings have a deeper cut or dish to them or are physically thinner or thicker, meaning the spacing needs slight adjustment.

St Johns street cycles sells all thickness of spacers quite cheaply though.

I had the opposite experience, though admittedly I'm comparing apples with oranges (130 BCD vs 110 bcd and different cranks). I had a TA ring break (along with the crank spider) so I replaced it with a Stronglight one which has served me well for a lot of miles since.

Latest posts

Back