Shimano freehub bodies

FSXStumpy

Retro Guru
This summer and fall, I've broken 2 Shimano freehub bodies. I'm 6'2 and 230#, a capable but not gonzo rider... The last FHB lasted about 150km. A black LX parallax hub.

The first one to fail was probably 18 years old, and the main bearing race sheared off the center portion of the body, just at where it threads on. Was an 9spd XT FHB, ca. 1998.

I replaced that with a new one, seemed more-or-less identical, but with an 8spd shell. It didn't run smoothly from day 1. When it got bad enough to begin hitching the chain, I tore it down expecting to find a burr or debris/swarf inside. I did, in fact, find the bearing shim washer in it crushed and throwing debris into the works, but the real problem was different. The teeth in the shell, where the prawls engage, each tooth was mushroomed, plastic deformation, from pedaling forces. I'm not that strong. I suspected it was under-hardened, and replaced the outer shell with the old one from the first body. All back together and it ran very nicely.....

Until Saturday. Out on a family ride in our local park, I pulled a little hop over a rise in the trail. The landing didn't sound great, despite being nothing special. I noticed brake rub. At the end of the ride, I noted the wheel had several mm of play in the bearing. The FHB had cracked at the same place as the original.

Now, the shop is good for it and it's being warrantied. I place no blame on the first FHB, it had served almost 2 decades, done innumerable 4' drops, jumps, been thru 2 rims. This last one though! 150km.... Less than 20 rides, none gonzo, just double track and single track cruising with my 8year old daughter...

Hopefully my next lasts over a year. When it comes in...

Anyone else? All I see online are FHB's cracking the outer shell or locking up/slipping. Mine are breaking off the drive side wheel race.

Bizarre.

J

I have seen them crack around the locking nut inside the hub (which holds the FHB onto the hub), but this was after 5,000 miles of heavily laden touring from Europe overland to India.

The allow bodies seem to have a robustness problem, but nothing of the scale you have experienced. The commonest problem seems to be the freewheel bearings failing due to spray lube washing out the grease.

Re:

I think you've got too much strenght in your legs... :cool: Never had that experience with Shimano freehubs. The only problem i've had was in winter with not engaging pawls due too cold... But even that was self healing!

Well, in my cycling career (LOL), I've killed 3 Shimano 8spd freehub bodies, all have failed this way. This one was the first, however, that failed in a short period - All the others had been raced on, commuted on, gone deep woods exploring, drops, jumps, light DH....

I was 165# then, now 225, but wow! Guess my legs are just that bulgy, LOL. Full on dad-bod here.

Anyway, shop'n'Shimano will make it good, but a blow to my exploring confidence in the equipment.... Despite decades of decent experience.

Thanks!

J

Back