shed cladding advice please.

Looking really smart VJ
I am especially liking your thoughts on using cedar shingles, could be because I am a slater, shingler and coppersmith by trade. Church restoration mainly but back home put up many, many Canadian style barn homes in western red cedar. Lovely to work with but unfortunately these days they don't last anywhere near as long in built up areas due to pollution also quality of cedar too. Lovely and if done properly will never leak. My shed back home when I was a boy was a shed about the size of yours that my dad shingled, walls as well as roof and it never ever had a drop come through, same as all the jobs in my later life. Even when they come to the end of their life they start curling and cracking before they let an water in. Just remember go at least 3 courses before putting a join within 3 or preferably 4 inches of the first one and triple lap. ;)
Look forward to seeing it done.

Jamie

Re:

Requesting an update since I'm in the middle of sorting my own out. What did you do about waterproofing/breather layer in the end?

Re:

I have finished the outside now. Apart from the trim around the roof.
I am now installing the cables for sockets and lights.
Regarding waterproofing the cladding and roof seem adequate.
For the roof I used wooden boards, then covered the boards with a layer of plastic sheeting, then finished off with the wooden shingles.
Once I have installed the wiring I will be insulating then cladding the inside.
Very much enjoyed building this summer house, considering it was my very 1st attempt.

Attachments

• IMG_2010.JPG
    IMG_2010.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 753
  • IMG_2011.JPG
    IMG_2011.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 753
  • IMG_2012.JPG
    IMG_2012.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 753
Looks absolutely brilliant.
Have to get a new shed up before the winter comes and if it turns out half as good looking as yours I will be well pleased.
Great Job

Jamie

Jamiedyer":ltgtxl46 said:
Looks absolutely brilliant.
Have to get a new shed up before the winter comes and if it turns out half as good looking as yours I will be well pleased.
Great Job

Jamie
Thanks for the comment.
Jeff.

Latest posts

Back