Share your winter bike.

Over the years I've really been round the houses with my attempts to have a lasting winter bike. First of all, a rather ponderous Terry Dolan which I never really liked, then a rather nice steel bike which I almost ruined despite using full mudguards, then a series of failed attempts involving clip-on mudguards on various bikes, then a failed attempt at a steel restomod. The latest is a relatively run of the mill second-hand (but only ever used for Zwift by the previous owner) winter bike. It's a nice enough ride whilst not being so nice that I care it getting covered in crap. If nothing else, it does have a rather nice paint job.

View attachment 810911
That windy bank near Bradfield?

It's not a formal club, just a collection of mainly retirees who try to meet Monday, weds, Saturday. Most of us originally rode with Sheffrec club at some point in the past

Well she isn't in winter clothes here because she's also my touring bike. winter has mudguards, 1 bottle and lots of random bits of inner tube to cover essentials.

View attachment 808281
I’ve had home built beater winter bikes since about 1980. One even rusted through at the bb and the frame bounced and the pedals hit the ground on the way home. I try and use an old or inexpensive new big box bike frame. You really can’t protect stuff here with mudguards as the salt gumbo fills everything up and then the next day the wheels won’t turn. Our roads are loaded all winter with a salt/sand gumbo. My bikes last a few winters before the brake mounts, chain and derailleur become unusable. Then their donated to our volunteer fire department scrap drive. Every spring and fall I soak everything in penetrant, but the canti brakes are always stuck and the chain is a solid piece. Lots of oil and a few days winter riding brings it back, but eventually it just won’t work. Once you have to start sanding the rust off the canti mounts, forget it, it’s shot.

Back