Share your winter bike.

During the '21 Christmas Covid Lockdown I got bored and decided to build me a low budget parts bin special to ride in nasty winter weather.

Only to find out I don't like riding in nasty winter weather ... šŸ˜Ÿ

ccbe68c8-270a-4c97-a8b7-84546321498d.jpg

My current winter bike (recently cleaned).Itā€™s a steel frame so not really ideal with all the salt etc. but itā€™s very comfy and gets me home quickly in the foul weather. Iā€™ve been doing around 250km a week on it just commuting and it is still a pleasure to ride. I think I might join the Illuminati soon (put a dynamo wheel on it).
866F301D-34E4-4D14-80B3-9DB7B2DEE1F3.jpeg

Last edited:
A previous winter bike of mine that was so rusted after years of use that it was trashed. IMG_2480.jpeg Old pogo stick Specialized converted to a 1x10. Studded tyres. Typical -20C ride apparel. Iā€™m still using this bike on plowed icy gravel. IMG_0330.jpeg
My spring bike. When most of the ice is gone from side roads and subdivisions. Itā€™s made from a $100 big box single speed. A who cares what salt does. 1.75 tyres. IMG_0020.jpeg IMG_0048.jpeg
Late spring bike of mine on the left. The roads are melted off the gravel is frozen rock hard and fast, no traffic, among the best riding up here. Itā€™s before the trails are open. I think this is May. Itā€™s a touring bike fitted with 38mm wide tires. 60901947882__058B33F6-FE9D-4B02-9ABD-2210D64C17C4.jpeg

Over the years I've really been round the houses with my attempts to have a lasting winter bike. First of all, a rather ponderous Terry Dolan which I never really liked, then a rather nice steel bike which I almost ruined despite using full mudguards, then a series of failed attempts involving clip-on mudguards on various bikes, then a failed attempt at a steel restomod. The latest is a relatively run of the mill second-hand (but only ever used for Zwift by the previous owner) winter bike. It's a nice enough ride whilst not being so nice that I care it getting covered in crap. If nothing else, it does have a rather nice paint job.

IMG_0636.jpg

Over the years I've really been round the houses with my attempts to have a lasting winter bike. First of all, a rather ponderous Terry Dolan which I never really liked, then a rather nice steel bike which I almost ruined despite using full mudguards, then a series of failed attempts involving clip-on mudguards on various bikes, then a failed attempt at a steel restomod. The latest is a relatively run of the mill second-hand (but only ever used for Zwift by the previous owner) winter bike. It's a nice enough ride whilst not being so nice that I care it getting covered in crap. If nothing else, it does have a rather nice paint job.

View attachment 810911
Smart bike šŸ‘

Back