Share your winter bike.

I’ve had home built beater winter bikes since about 1980. One even rusted through at the bb and the frame bounced and the pedals hit the ground on the way home. I try and use an old or inexpensive new big box bike frame. You really can’t protect stuff here with mudguards as the salt gumbo fills everything up and then the next day the wheels won’t turn. Our roads are loaded all winter with a salt/sand gumbo. My bikes last a few winters before the brake mounts, chain and derailleur become unusable. Then their donated to our volunteer fire department scrap drive. Every spring and fall I soak everything in penetrant, but the canti brakes are always stuck and the chain is a solid piece. Lots of oil and a few days winter riding brings it back, but eventually it just won’t work. Once you have to start sanding the rust off the canti mounts, forget it, it’s shot.
Similar tale of woh here. She did 5 years of no car comutting, in that time 60ish percentage of her got changed when the old parts died. Wheels have been rebuilt 4 times now to replace hubs that just stopped. Brakes are the 3rd set now. Derailleurs are 2 or 3 times remove. Bb is 2 or 3, I forget. No idea how many discs. She battles on and still rides great after a new chain and sprockets each spring.

Similar tale of woh here. She did 5 years of no car comutting, in that time 60ish percentage of her got changed when the old parts died. Wheels have been rebuilt 4 times now to replace hubs that just stopped. Brakes are the 3rd set now. Derailleurs are 2 or 3 times remove. Bb is 2 or 3, I forget. No idea how many discs. She battles on and still rides great after a new chain and sprockets each spring.
That would make her something like Trigger´s broom, wouldn´t it?

Wow, that’s a love of a bicycle. I just get a new beater every few years.

Just picked this up for precisely this purpose - and don' worry, that bar angle has been sorted and it now has guards fitted!
It was brand new, only ordered last August and never ridden by the owner - picked up for a song so I was v happy! It's definitely not retro, but it is at least steel!

Attachments

• Ribble 725 Disc.jpeg
    Ribble 725 Disc.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 17
& summer to hot for ebike bike & general dogs body train fitting bmx SS MTB ish

Attachments

• PXL_20240201_142848453.jpg
    PXL_20240201_142848453.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Just picked this up for precisely this purpose - and don' worry, that bar angle has been sorted and it now has guards fitted!
It was brand new, only ordered last August and never ridden by the owner - picked up for a song so I was v happy! It's definitely not retro, but it is at least steel!

Nice - some of the newer Ribbles are classy looking bikes.

Latest posts

Back