The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
One of my boys rode in complaining of poor shifting. He had his bike serviced by the lbs last week.

£35 for this. That was discounted as his dad bought it there for xmas.

That is shameful. Someone needs firing.

I know not everyone can be good at bike mechanics but seriously, when that's you actual job! :facepalm:

For years I've been saying nothing good will come out of those electric gears. Now we're there.

God! Name the shop ??

To behonest loads of bike shops are getting worse, they'd rather sell bikes as a whole than repair one.

My Son had a brand new BMX a few years ago and the rear spokes all came loose within 2 days, I told him to take the bike back and get the wheel sorted, being brand new I expected the wheel to be fully re-tightened up for free, but oh no the bike shop wanted £12 to do it!

I phoned them and gave them an ear bashing and they bluntly said ''We are a business and not a charity and don't do things for free sir''.... I told them this is ridiculous as the bike is only 2 days old, again they said ....''There will be a charge sir''.....So in anger I said.... ''Right I'm bringing the bike back and want a full refund of the £375 purchase price as the goods are defective and suitable for use''..... Silence on the other end for a good few seconds, then someone else spoke to me telling me to bring the wheel up and they'll tighten it up for free.

Never been back to that shop since.

Re:

That's pretty poor, and I assume the shifting is too. How did they justify £35 for 5 mins work and cable? Any normal bike shop would charge their minimum price which should be way less than £35.

I asked my Lbs to fit a headset for me a couple of weeks ago. It's a place I've gone to on and off for 30 years, same family owned, and I've bought lots of stuff from them over the years including new bikes.
So I get the usual twaddle about repairing bikes that they didn't supply etc, to which I gave my normal response that surely it's good business to undertake repairs regardless.
Anyway I get the frame home and notice the bottom seal is missing from the headset. I phone the shop and get some cock and bull story about the seal not fitting because the fork profile is too thin to hold it in place.
I go back to the shop to recover the seal and insert it myself without issue.
Well their wish has come true. I won't be bothering them with my business in future.

What about a mate who snapped two spokes in the rear wheel of a modern Mavic Ksyrium wheel,
they declined to replace the spokes & tru' the wheel, but instead gave him a price for a whole new
wheel & cassette at some £300, yet three spokes was just £10 and he didn't want a new cassette neither.

Not about keeping customers happy these days, there's no soul or compassion with modernday bike shops.

Re: Re:

ishaw":3il6ejev said:
That's pretty poor, and I assume the shifting is too. How did they justify £35 for 5 mins work and cable? Any normal bike shop would charge their minimum price which should be way less than £35.

It was part of a 'service' and he'd snapped the hanger. They charged him for the hanger on top.

Back