Shamal 8-spd to 10-spd - Campy hub/cassette compatibility

Re: Shamal 8-spd to 10-spd - Campy hub/cassette compatibilit

I upgraded my same era Ventos without sweat.

Simply buy a cheap 10 speed rear hub off fleabay. Swap the freehubs over. Job done. Watch the pawlsprings, they can travel a long way...

The cheap hub can be 9,10, 11 speed as they're interchangeable. A replacement freehub to upgrade it is a very expensive and rare thing. Done right, you can then put the 8spd freehub on the bought hub, and stick it back on eBay.

that's exactly what I hoped I could do in 1st place but all I've heard is that modern (9-10-11) freehubs are not compatible because axel is different size. From what I can gather, my shamal is most likely 10mm whereas newer ones can be 12mm or maybe 17mm??????
I've not actually tried swapping the freehub off my Sciroccos - just got told I couldn't do it - hence looking at new whole hub & rebuilding rim onto it.
So - What kind if hub did you use for your Ventos?
I'm actually really liking the modern black wheels now the bike's had a lick of paint:
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/96078766@N ... 505255242/
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=271340
Have put the shamal on the front & scirocco on back just to compare them.

I just bought a 9spd hub off eBay. Was same size in terms of Alan key. Just buy an older 9 spd hub. I've never even bothered with if things would work, just used it. I've run the Ventos as both 9 and 10 spd, though I'm currently running 9 as I prefer it.

The hub I bought was a 9 spd Athena IIRC.

Back