Spa Cycles Audax

RetroDavy

Retro Guru
Here's my work-in-progress Spa Cycles Audax, not yet road tested. It's the product of wanting to get a sturdy modern Reynolds steel frame with slightly tighter angles than my touring and mountain bikes that can still handle a mix of surfaces. Spa were typically helpful and swapped out the carbon fork for this cro-mo steel option for the difference in price at point of ordering.

Equipment-wise, this first iteration has come about through having stored up some very cheap Sora brakes and shifters, Tektro brakes, Selle Royal saddle and Deore hubs from various online retailers' sales. Sora mechs and a 9 spd SRAM cassette. Stronglight double chainset. Ritchey headset. The wheels have Ryde Sputnik rims (32 front / 36 rear) with Sapim 14g stainless spokes and Schwalbe CX Comp tyres (£12 each from Spa at the moment), part of my ongoing self-education in wheel building. I'm also going to try it out with a drop bar and a triple chainset, so there will be another version or two to come before I settle on a final iteration.

SPA1.jpg

Here's my work-in-progress Spa Cycles Audax, not yet road tested. It's the product of wanting to get a sturdy modern Reynolds steel frame with slightly tighter angles than my touring and mountain bikes that can still handle a mix of surfaces. Spa were typically helpful and swapped out the carbon fork for this cro-mo steel option for the difference in price at point of ordering.

Equipment-wise, this first iteration has come about through having stored up some very cheap Sora brakes and shifters, Tektro brakes, Selle Royal saddle and Deore hubs from various online retailers' sales. Sora mechs and a 9 spd SRAM cassette. Stronglight double chainset. Ritchey headset. The wheels have Ryde Sputnik rims (32 front / 36 rear) with Sapim 14g stainless spokes and Schwalbe CX Comp tyres (£12 each from Spa at the moment), part of my ongoing self-education in wheel building. I'm also going to try it out with a drop bar and a triple chainset, so there will be another version or two to come before I settle on a final iteration.

View attachment 770939
That's lovely. When it's finished could you post it in the not French thread please. Edit steel fork is way nicer imo.

View attachment 770939
Very nice. The cx comp are great tyres, are they 30mm?

That's lovely. When it's finished could you post it in the not French thread please. Edit steel fork is way nicer imo.
Thanks. I'm really impressed with the frame - feels quality and well finished. Agree about the steel fork. It fits with the 'bike for life' ethos I was going for, hence wanting to spend some time trying out different component sets before finalising it. Yes, I'll certainly post it in the Not French... thread - one of my favourite RB places!

Very nice. The cx comp are great tyres, are they 30mm?
Thank you. Yes, 30mm. I might be able to use them with full length mudguards, though not if mud was involved as the clearance would be super tight and they would clog immediately. Mudguards or no mudguards is a subject that will need some deliberation.

Thanks. I'm really impressed with the frame - feels quality and well finished. Agree about the steel fork. It fits with the 'bike for life' ethos I was going for, hence wanting to spend some time trying out different component sets before finalising it. Yes, I'll certainly post it in the Not French... thread - one of my favourite RB places!
I've lusted after the Spa audax Mono. Just looked it's reduced oh no 🥵 I'd have the Audax and tourer too.

Back