Is a 11 speed road cassette on 8-10 speed road hub not compatible?

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
Got my first 11 speed groupset recently (shows you how outmoded I am) sensah empire to build to a new BXT branded carbon roadie frame.

Cassette body on my old 8-10 speed planet X wheels (circa 2010) doesnt appear wide enough to accept the 11 speed cassette of the new group.

Will I need to get a new freehub body? Which given the age of the wheels looks unlikely.

You might have more joy swapping out the whole hub.

Cassette body on my old 8-10 speed planet X wheels (circa 2010) doesnt appear wide enough to accept the 11 speed cassette of the new group.

If you get a non series 11-34 11 speed cassette (hg600 I think) hg800 then that is the standard mtb 11 speed spacing that will fit on 8-10 speed freehub.

You have to use a spacer when fitting them to a road 11 speed freehub.

Last edited:
11 Speed mtb cassette might go on as long as it clears the spokes i.e. you dont go massive with the cog size.
11 speed road cassettes require the longer freehub body, 11 speed mtb cassettes fit on a 10speed freehub body. Strange but true.

You could just fit the biggest 10 sprockets on your existing wheels for now till youre ready to buy new wheels. You'll have a redundant click, but itll work

the narrower freehub body MAY be able to get machined down 1.8 mm , or the back of the cassette milled out 1.8 mm , how it works depends on the geometry of the drive side spokes

Back