setting chain length for a 1x9?

jax13

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
next task on my 1x9 project is cabling the rear mech & setting the gears but I realised something. I don't know how long to make the chain.

i'll be using a kmc 9 speed jobbie with a missing link but when I set the length do I follow the standard rule (big to big + 2) or can I get away with a shorter chain due to the lack of movement at the front?

i was after a short cage initially but decided to go for a single groupset throughout as its a budget build that is being aimed directly towards being mediocre!

Fair enough, a mid/long cage will work fine as well. I think short cages are just meant to shift a little better and be less susceptible to getting caught on branches, rocks etc.

I was running 3 x 9 with 42/32/22 rings and normal big to big + 2 chain setup. Decided to try 1 x 9 and replaced the rings with a 36T. Didn't alter the chain length (lazy :oops: ) and everything worked fine. Still haven't taken the front mech off (lazy :oops: ) and that way everything's in order if I decide to revert to 3 x 9 :D

unless you want to end up using two split links:

remove chainlinks one at a time until you can engage bottom gear with rear mech on almost(!) full stretch

that's the best length - the shortest!

Back