Chain length for 1x11 help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I usually use, and did on my last 1x11, use the tried and tested big to big plus 2 links. Today I ventured into using an online calculator which required chain stay length, chainring and largest sprocket tooth count, resulting in a 112 link chain.
I'm using a used but decent xt 46t cassette and a 34t narrow wide ring. I was going to use a used chain (came with the cassette), but previous owner split the chain via a pin rather than the quick link in the chain (whyyyyyyyy?). It is marginally shorter than the 112 links at 110 anyway.

I have a new 11sp SRAM chain thankfully, which is 114 links. Will the 2 extra links make much difference or is it best to go with 112?

On the used chain front I could try to rejoin it and even add a couple of links, but is this wise?

2 links is an inch and half of chain, on a some setups this would be fine but without it in front of me it's pretty much impossible to say, as Mr City suggests, does the derailleur sit on it's stops or let the chain rub on the cage in the smallest gear?

don't use the old chain. any reason you can't remove 2 links from the new chain?

but previous owner split the chain via a pin rather than the quick link in the chain (whyyyyyyyy?). It is marginally shorter than the 112 links at 110 anyway.

Because it’s not a quick link, it’s a locking link that’s not designed to be split and reused. I know some people try to split and reuse these but I don’t. Anyway, you got the cassette and chain for free so stop moaning 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

My set up was 30t with that cassette so I reckon you’d be on the short side with a 34.

As mentioned above I always use small small as reference, and ensure that the chain runs smoothly without rubbing on the derailleur cage etc, and if it does that then my job is over and I have a drink

Back