Sending wooden boxes

Think it is good for something special and / or international shipping.

An improvement would be handle cut-outs or some knotted rope threaded through holes.

no, don't do it for international shipping. It will have to be certificated ISPN14 compliant, or it will cause more problems getting it in. Yes I know it's MDF, but customs are a pain in the arse. They will see it as wood product, and as such, you'll need the paperwork

Pyro Tim":35bb0q3u said:
sorry, obviously couldn't type last night. Yes, ISPM15

Ill take note of it as its the likely thing ill do if sending international but for UK it would be ok to send.
Process to manufacture mdf involves solvents and boiling water, and therefore boiling solvents too. Nothing could possibly survive the manufacturing process :shock:
Then they need to be resistant to urea-formaldehyde ;) and organic life isn't.

My idea to cover the entire thing in textured mock snake skin stickybacked plastic have proved too expensive :(

sylus":1rfhh09b said:
you could get a job as a coffin maker if nothing else?

I have considered building my own ;)

If for burying- something like ironwood . Totally resistant to all boring creatures including those nasty marine burrowers
If for cremation- Something dripping in flammable resin. Set the whole place aflame :twisted:

dyna-ti":1lpe96lw said:
My idea to cover the entire thing in textured mock snake skin stickybacked plastic have proved too expensive :(

sylus":1lpe96lw said:
you could get a job as a coffin maker if nothing else?

I have considered building my own ;)

If for burying- something like ironwood . Totally resistant to all boring creatures including those nasty marine burrowers
If for cremation- Something dripping in flammable resin. Set the whole place aflame :twisted:

Surely a coffin for burial would be better if able to decompose at a similar rate to the body it contains. Back to the earth and all that. Try leaving something sealed in a broken freezer to get the effect your hoping for. yum. been there seen that.

Box of Delight has been posted

Total weight= 9.22Kg
Cost to send via parcelforce 48- £15.92
Under 10kg is good, i was expecting 12-13kg so thats good and i know i could probably reduce that by a further 3Kg by using thinner board and bracing it more with thinner section, maybe about 8mm square as opposed to the 20mm square split that these bracing batons were made with.

If i do another of these ill make it completely solid then split it down the middle and add hinges so it opens like a proper flight case.
and after carrying it all the way to the postoffice a pair of wheels will be going on too, gawd, my shoulders are killing me :LOL:

Back