Sean Yates Motorola Caloi/Merckx 650 TT frame & forks

I'd love to get my hands on this Yates bike his 25 mile TT Championship winning bike :)

daccordimark":2mqdgogp said:
Hmm, why the cantilever brakes? Weight saving?
According to the article , yes . Very neat cable routing , especially the exiting gear cable from the chainstay . Anyone seen this before ?
To think that such a strong rider could ride 24 spoke wheels too :shock: Even more shocking that he used 650 wheels too for a rider of his size . I'm sure they used Wolber rims too .

Good work Nob .
That first pic reminds me of when he came belting past me on a Nat. Champs 25 . He is a good bloke , we had a good old chat about things when he worked in a local shop .
Wasn't aware of the book . All I know is that he mentored Armstrong when he joined Motorola , and that when he gave up being a d/s , it seemed like bad timing to me .

I contacted the great man himself & his 1980 TT winning bike is now in the Cycling Time Trials Museum was his answer.

Nob":1enj5b52 said:
I contacted the great man himself & his 1980 TT winning bike is now in the Cycling Time Trials Museum was his answer.

Didn't know there was one ! National museum in Llandrindod Wells , but not a time trial specific one :?
Do you know where abouts that might be ?
Mike

Re. his quitting/asked to resign as a DS, I remember reading on the net various sightings of him during the tour, talking constantly into one of two mobile phones. I'm guessing there is no escape from the demands of a Hampshire based landscape gardening concern.

Back