Scott Superlite 1991

Hey Mike my man,

i asked myself the same question before i decided to start this project.
Fortunately it is only a nasty looking damage in the laquer. I inspected the head tube from the inside and from the bottom and everything is fine with it.
I also thought about sanding down the laquer but i'm not to keen on messing around with spray cans on that. Beside the love i put in this build the colors are the thing that are making this bike at least half decent.
It wouldn't be a nice present to give to my friend if it was broken and since he is not into the bike community as well nobody will ask him ever about it. :D

Cheers,

Adam

A friend of mine had the exact same bike but with a white Scott Unishock fork, I remember thinking it was very cool looking but weight wise its name was a little misleading. He later stripped off all the paint and Autosol-d the whole thing to a mirror shine - looked awesome.

@mechagouki:
When i look at the inexistent quality of the paint i believe your friend had a very easy job stripping it. :)
You are absolutely right about the subtle irony of the name and the truth. When this bike is finished i'll weigh it and publish the official weight of something super lite.

More work done! :cool:
A very nice set of what seems to be Sugino chain rings arrived from the UK.
Thanks my man Charlie.
Attaching chain rings and fitting the cranks was nice and easy. After that i put the old, clean and patiently waiting chain back on the bike and adjusted the rear mech and that's it as far as nice and easy things went.
Took me about an hour or so to fiddle out what the correct position of the front mech is and what the correct cable tension might be. It would have gone quicker if i had a work stand but my work stand is this old wooden box you can see in the pictures combined with one of my hands. :D

Drivetrain finished. Bike finished after ten days. :cool:

Is there something that could go wrong now? No....but wait.. took the bike out of my flat went back in to get my keys..the next thing i saw was the Scott driving down the staircase on its own. Thank god the only damage was a cut in one of the grips. I could fix that in a minute.

So off for a quick spin around my block to see how the Super Lite drives.
Unexpectedly it fits me well and i'm 1,84m. Narrow turns are a dream. Front braking power is not. It can go really fast. And even it should be called Super Heavy instead of Super Lite it behaves like a bike with at least 3 kilos off.
I'm very happy with this result.

Is there something that could go wrong now? No....but wait...i called the chap for whom i built this bike to see if he's at home so i can surprise him with this as a gift.
He still doesn't know anything of the build at all.
He was home but told me that he's about to leave for a cycling tour.
I hope he borrowed some bike somewhere..otherwise i will be the proud owner of a third bike myself.
If this story has an happy ending can be read in an update here tomorrow.

The complete list:

Frame: 1991 Scott Super Lite

Fork: 1995 Spinner

Headset: Ritchey
Stem: Sakae
Handlebar: Sakae
Grips: Ritchey
Barends: -

Brakes: STX
Brake Pads: Shimano M55 and some nameless grey ones
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano A
Brake Levers/Shifters: Shimano DX ST-M071

Front Derailleur: Shimano LX FD-M550
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX RD-M565
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano HG 8 Speed
Chain: Shimano HG 70 ?
Cranks: Shimano LX M563
Crank Bolts: DX
Chainrings: Sugino 42/32/22
Chainring bolts: some that do the job
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN52 i think
Pedals: VP-383S

Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Weinmann/Alesa Zac 19
Hubs: Shimano XT HB-737/HB-M510
Nipples: DT Swiss
Spokes: DT Swiss
Tyres:CST Salva Enduro tire/Schwalbe Marathon Plus
Tubes: Schwalbe

Saddle: BBB
Seatpost: Sakae ?
Seatpost Binder: An old Marin one

Weight: TBA

Attachments

• P6030005.JPG
    P6030005.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,775
  • P6030010.JPG
    P6030010.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,775
More pics.

Attachments

• P6030012.JPG
    P6030012.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,769
  • P6030011.JPG
    P6030011.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,767
  • P6030016.JPG
    P6030016.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,768
Sunday at it's best

Who's the lucky guy who's now owner of this classy ride???
Yeeeesssssss it's me!
I couldn't believe when Adam dropped by asking me how I like the bike he came with. "The 90'ies are great....so is this bike.." --> "WELL IT'S YOURS".

:shock:

So since today for the first time I'm a owner of a bike which makes the people jelous instead of swearing at me!

It's not only the bike that made my day...what I appreciate even more is the thought behind it and Adam's efford.
So Adam's plan totally worked:
Surprize 100%
Stoked 100%
Happy to have a good friend: 100%

Thanks daddyoh!!

This is how Karma works. :cool:
Here is a pic of the new and obviously proud owner.
Mission completed.

Attachments

• P6050032.JPG
    P6050032.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,728
skolioza":deasjqks said:
Never had 91 Scott 's rigid fork, but 92-93 was exactly made by Spinner
Later ones (96 or even 95 +) having just Scott signature in dropouts
Well, 92 Boulder arrives today - with oryginal rigid fork
It's not a Spinner fork, and it even not looks like Spinner

Clipboard02.jpg

But in catalogue Superlite is having different shape of fork to Boulder, so it's very likely Performance Series was equipped in Spinner forks :)

All the best for happy owner and builder of this bike :)

Back