Saudi Arabia

Re:

I don't think labour or the Lib Dems would have any other view of the Saudis, or Chinese for that matter

Edit

Sorry, went off topic a bit

Re:

That is perfectly on topic. I think Labour would certainly be likely to sanction them were Corbyn to become PM. As unlikely as that sounds.

What I am detecting is a shift towards identifying the source of all the unrest across the middle east; and any examination of the Saudi state lends one the impression there must be some smoke behind all that fire.

While the traditional enemies such as Iran are moderating, Saudi shows every sign of remaining the dictator of hard right extremist ideology wherever it gains purchase.

The increasing awareness of this may be driven by atrocities here and abroad, but there is no doubt it is causing people to question our involvement with Saudi.

My hope is that money is not always going to swear.

The status quo appears to be that extremists bomb and shoot us in our back yards.

I don't think we will continue to accept that.

Re:

I think more and more people are becoming aware of it certainly, but I cannot see sanctions happening any time soon
Or Corbyn as prime minister for that matter. I think he has very little support from his own party, and would be surprised if he led them in the next election.
Then again, who would have thought BoJo would be a serious contender for tory leadership

I am agreed we won't see Corbyn as PM.

But if anyone with vaguely similar principles becomes PM I reckon there will be action taken against Saudi.

Consider the fact this government already took action that was more or less a sanction.

Re:

Any future government would have to weigh up our energy supply needs and our own resources, before reaching a conclusion.
Probably involving think tanks, and years of research.
Then what about their dirty money buying up London? Then what do we do about dirty Russian money coming in and doing the same. Pricing out those who actually work and want to live there
Imagine PMQs with Corbyn on one side, BoJo on the other.

Car crash comes to mind!

Years of research? Not at all. Oil is oil, and money is money. It is all Saudi have.

We can sanction them for their human rights abuses whilst still taking oil, we did it with Iraq.

As far as all the foreign money buying up central London; they are bringing a lot of money into the country. Just like Switzerland, we need to manage it and make hay whilst the sun shines. Let's just not let on to them that there are much nicer parts of the country! ;)

Re:

Is anyone REALLY still that naive they think Goverments rule the world?

It's business conglomerates who decide every aspect of our lives, not the muppets we vote in every few years...

The arms industry, motor industry, fizzy f*ck*ng drinks!

The world could wipe out IS, etc tomorrow if it wanted, but then who would buy all the arms if we had no wars to fight?

Wake up and smell the (fair trade) coffee you should...

Re:

Well I agree with not letting on about nicer parts of the UK! :LOL:
Not been abroad for years now on holiday, discovering our own island. There are some wonderful places here. London not being one, but that's just my personal view.

Yes, governments play a part, you would have to be naive not to expect them to take 'incentives' for agreeing things that to the rest of us sane people, seem utterly crazy!

Quite where HS2 falls into that, is anyone's guess. A 20 minute saving in time over the current system. What do people do in that time? Get a Costalot coffee and tweet their friends/colleagues /wives/mistresses. Or go on this forum, and agree to buy old bike tat! Oh hang on, sounds good all of a sudden. :LOL:

Willy waving,as someone on here pointed out once! The same goes for Boris Island airport! FFS! :LOL:

The History Man":2pjnxdjw said:
I think we should train our out of control dags to infiltrate them.

Two birds with one stone.

History Man you amaze me... ^^^

I thought your weopon of first resort to curb those tyrants would be a home made slightly warm and moist Victoria Sponge with a layer of Raspberry preserve running through it and a nice dusting of flour over the top.

Retro Spud":tjqupyy2 said:
The History Man":tjqupyy2 said:
I think we should train our out of control dags to infiltrate them.

Two birds with one stone.

History Man you amaze me... ^^^

I thought your weopon of first resort to curb those tyrants would be a home made slightly warm and moist Victoria Sponge with a layer of Raspberry preserve running through it and a nice dusting of flour over the top.

How absurd, the dusting would never stay on top. Maybe butter cream, with mini eggs on top.
Well it is Easter

Back