Saracen Trekker 1989 (/1990)

Will post up once it arrives.
I know what you mean about the weight, it's hard to believe just how much heavier early Saracens feel in comparison to many of their counterparts but they do also have that utterly smooth yet solid/predictable ride feel.
I think the Trekker will make a good easy pace tow path bike, I don't imagine it'll get much thrashing on the trails.

Re:

Well, I'm down to two rideable Retro bikes now, the Saracen Tufftrax & Rockhopper I acquired a few weeks ago, I find my self wholeheartedly apologising to the one that gets left behind when I go for a spin round, I feel even worse if I take the same bike out twice on the trot... :LOL: :LOL: :facepalm:
Sad I am... :roll:

Re: Re:

Graham_hkr":l4p1fs5w said:
Well, I'm down to two rideable Retro bikes now, the Saracen Tufftrax & Rockhopper I acquired a few weeks ago, I find my self wholeheartedly apologising to the one that gets left behind when I go for a spin round, I feel even worse if I take the same bike out twice on the trot... :LOL: :LOL: :facepalm:
Sad I am... :roll:

Got a purple Traverse waiting here for you when you want it mate. ;)

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":19gko4rr said:
Got a purple Traverse waiting here for you when you want it mate. ;)
lol... must admit it's a lovely looking bike mate, way too big for the missus tho unfortunately otherwise I'd have taken it months ago, shame it wasn't a 17''... :cry:

This just arrived in the post:

Some of you might recognise it from these parts before, and you would be correct; many thanks to Brocklanders023 for responding to a half-hearted post saying I wouldn't mind a classic Saracen. After a few weeks here it is.

It is, I believe, a 1989 spec frame with 1990 bits on it - 500LX mainly (but a rear U-Brake), so not particularly high spec, but functional. I'm not sure whether to upgrade the bits to 1989 spec stuff, better 1990 stuff which I have, or just leave it. The chainset is in great condition, but I know they are quite heavy, so an XT one might be on the horizon.

The whole bike is quite heavy, but I guess a steel seat post, sprung saddle, steel stem and bars aren't going to make for a svelte steed. Still, it's not much of a concern as it feels well built.

A few things to fettle to my liking before it's ready for a ride.

The frame is in such good condition that I think it will be a fair-weather rider, so probably won't be going out on it anytime soon, unless we get a very dry spell, or I just potter around with the kids.

I'll get some more photos when it's light if anyone is interested, but you've all seen it before so don't want to bore you.

Just can't get over what a great looking bike it is, and just hope it rides nearly as good as it looks.

Cheers.
I think that it should have deore mechs.

500LX mechs and STI push-button shifters from Shimano's '90 range are correct for an '89/early '90 standard Trekker (i.e. not the double U-brake and Deore II Trekker Competition which was in the catalogue). Apart from the sprung saddle the one above is the same as mine which I've had from new.

Back