Saracen Trekker 1989 (/1990)

Re:

Great to see a thread up and running + this beaut getting some attention. It really is a belter and was wasted sitting in my garage.

My plan was to build it with 1989 Deore to match the U brake and I even got as far as buying a donor Trekker. Problem was that even though the donor was tidy, it wasn't mint so the parts would have looked out of place on such a lovely frame.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Re:

I can't enter it into anything without putting my mark on it and it might take a while. Wouldn't be right.

It would be good to make it 1989 spec but I'm not too concerned about mint stuff as I want to use it.

Would it be terrible to put 1991 spec deore LX and DX kit on it? I can't believe I'm even asking as that would be terrible. Tempting though.

Problem is, I'm out of 1989 deore ii or xt equipment so it will end up costing me. Anybody got any bits they want to sell?

It's been a while, what with one thing and many others I haven't been out on the bikes much lately. Today however, I dusted off the "new" trekker and took it for a proper ride around Headley Heath and surrounding areas. I know the routes well around there so can compare it to a number of other bikes from a single speed rigid steel fat bike, a single speed rigid steel Stooge Mk3 with 29+ front and B+ rear, and an rigid steel adventure-style bike called a Light Blue Darwin with 43Cx700C tyres (I like rigid steel). The trails were bone dry and rock solid, so any comments on ride quality are a bit moot as we all know how rough rock solid, dried clay horse hoof and tyre grooves are.

I'll get the negatives out of the way first. It's a bit heavy - about 32lb with pedals - and the brakes aren't great. So, what's new? Ride a little bumpy, but the caveat is mentioned above. On gravelly trails it's fine.

The positives:

Looks stunning.

the mid-range groupset is fine and works well in the dry conditions. I wouldn't want to ride this through a muddy winter, but who would?

It's a lovely ride really and I think it rides a s well as it did on the day it was bought - possibly better due to a better BB and Stans sealant in the inner tubes.

The steering took a while to get used to with its massive tiller-like stem, as I'm used to 30mm stems on the fat and Stooge, but like every bike I ride, after about five minutes it seems perfectly natural. It handles well - quick but stable enough and despite the ground conditions it really is quite a pleasant ride.

The position isn't too racy and I feel very comfortable on it, but it's definitely old-school and I was transported back to rides I did as a teenager.

Climbing isn't super fast due to the weight, but it spins up ok and traction seemed to be good from the chunky tyres. It's nice having gears!

I surprised myself by getting a few Strava PBs on the more XC bits, and it really was a surprise as I'm a bit out of shape and don't know the bike that well yet! Like most of these bikes from the late eighties, early nineties they are very XC focused so just demand a good thrashing on the XC stuff. I was ragging it, with no respect for the poor thing's age, and it took it like a good old MTB should - screaming for more and threatening to throw you off if you even think about blinking. Lovely. Just shows though, even a mid range, heavy old bike can still produce the goods if it's designed well. Well done Saracen, respect is due.

It's very interesting comparing it to the more contemporary stuff I have. 29+/B+ combination is definitely a brilliant thing for rigid bikes, but I feel there is more flex in the Trekker's frame so that does absorb a lot of the trail. The spring saddle probably helps too, but must weigh a lot. My '89 Bear valley gives a harsher ride, and I'm surprised just how close the Trekker is to the Stooge - it wouldn't be as close in more extreme trails, but over XC it would be an interesting race! The fat bike give the ultimate smooth ride and traction of course, buts that's a whole other world.

It's a great bike and here are some slightly dull photos.

fullsizeoutput_34cd by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr

dUgVVCEKTZCbxJS0rxb8ew by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr

NDYdMKX7QrW7yVN%B3gLaQ by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr

Re:

Lovely. :cool:

Was just talking about this yesterday with Graham_hkr came to collect my Tufftrax. Down to only one Saracen now. :cry:

sthodgson":2iabpwho said:
It's been a while, what with one thing and many others I haven't been out on the bikes much lately. Today however, I dusted off the "new" trekker and took it for a proper ride
Loveley looking bike mate.. :cool:
brocklanders023":2iabpwho said:
Lovely. :cool:

Was just talking about this yesterday with Graham_hkr came to collect my Tufftrax. Down to only one Saracen now. :cry:
My missus fell in love with the Trekker but the 20'' frame would be way too big for her, fortunately.. :LOL: :LOL: you're safe with that one Ed! ;)

Thread resurrection.
lovely looking thing you have there OP, had been mulling over a Trekker acquisition for the last couple years and threads like this don’t help. In fact, I have bitten the bullet and purchased one now. Looking forward to picking up.
How have you found yours after a few more miles?

Re:

Post some pics up when you get it. I’ll have to admit I haven’t really ridden it, or any bike since the start of summer as I just haven’t found much time. I’ve been running to stay fit. It will get ridden when I get the inspiration back and it will be at mayhem next year.

It’s a bit heavy for an XC style bike at 32lbs or so
- can’t compete with some of the low 20lb bikes that are thrashed around, but it’s one of those bikes that has a certain feelgood factor - feels classic.

Back