Saracen Traverse 1989 - a winter project

DuoTech

Retro Guru
I very rarely find bargains on marketplace before they're snapped up so I was chuffed when I managed to get first dibs on a "free bike needing attention" just down the road - a Saracen Traverse that looked in pretty clean condition from the tantalising non-drive side photo on the ad (why is it always the non-drive side?!).

I picked it up from a really friendly couple who'd acquired it from an elderly neighbour and were passing it on to a new owner. From a quick inspection before chucking it into the boot it was obvious it was going to be a project. The seatpost is completely seized as is the seat clamp. The paintwork on the frame isn't too bad at all with the usually scuffs and scratches that I can happily live with but the fork has been resprayed at some point in a (surprisingly quirky) lemon yellow colour and where the paint has peeled away over the years the steel has rusted pretty badly. Looks like surface rust but it's going to need a sand blast and respray either way. Various screws are stripped and some looked rusted to the point that they'll snap in the threads as soon as I touch them but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The possibility of a full Mountain LX groupset was an exciting thought but unfortunately the cranks have long gone as has the front mech, the original Wolber rims and, perhaps most frustratingly, the right hand thumbie top cap. I've got a feeling it might take a while to pin down the elusive crankset, and I've no idea how I'll source a Mountain LX top cap, but in the meantime everything is covered in a layer of grime so let's take it apart and get cleaning.

Attachments

• PXL_20211219_124005243.jpg
    PXL_20211219_124005243.jpg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 96
  • PXL_20211219_124013642.jpg
    PXL_20211219_124013642.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 96
  • PXL_20211219_124026686.jpg
    PXL_20211219_124026686.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20211219_124023364.jpg
    PXL_20211219_124023364.jpg
    613.3 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20211219_124030281.jpg
    PXL_20211219_124030281.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20211219_124616691.jpg
    PXL_20211219_124616691.jpg
    864.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Was that the one over Addlestone way ?. If I remember correctly the cranks may have been the black Mountain LX which is pretty rare. Then again I might know someone who has a pair ;-)

Was that the one over Addlestone way ?. If I remember correctly the cranks may have been the black Mountain LX which is pretty rare. Then again I might know someone who has a pair ;-)
Yes, the Addlestone one. Seller mentioned they'd got quite a bit of interest in it after my message. Well if that someone would ever consider selling those cranks I would gladly provide the custom! ;)

Leave it with me. I'm flat out with work but give me a nudge towards the end of next week as I will probably forget otherwise. Pretty sure I have some shifters and maybe a more or less complete mountain lx donor bike as well. Just need to make sure I keep enough parts for my 2 1989 Marin Bear Valley rebuilds. I'm fairly local as well. Shame the seat post is so low in the frame otherwise I would have said pop it over and I will get it out for you but that one looks tricky as my usual vice method will just loosen the head. Been there, done that.

Leave it with me. I'm flat out with work but give me a nudge towards the end of next week as I will probably forget otherwise. Pretty sure I have some shifters and maybe a more or less complete mountain lx donor bike as well. Just need to make sure I keep enough parts for my 2 1989 Marin Bear Valley rebuilds. I'm fairly local as well. Shame the seat post is so low in the frame otherwise I would have said pop it over and I will get it out for you but that one looks tricky as my usual vice method will just loosen the head. Been there, done that.

You're a hero, will be in touch later next week but absolutely no rush if you need more time. The seatpost is an awkward one and I would have taken you up on that offer since I don't have a vice myself. Just dousing it in WD40 at the moment until I have time to tug at it properly.

Great stuff, 89 Saracen's are ace! I also have recently picked up a Traverse project. No idea what the weird residue that covers the bike is and it's proving a pain to remove although nail varnish remover seems to work with plenty of elbow grease. It's probably destined for the Turbo so condition isn't really important.

I was also lucky to pick up the correct stem and bar from another member who then checked his garage and found the Mountain LX groupset, including black crank so I'm good to go except for the wheels.

I got the lot for the price of postage so if you ask on here someone will no doubt come up with the parts.
20211111_113653.jpg 20211111_113646.jpg 20211111_113658.jpg 20211111_113704.jpg

Great stuff, 89 Saracen's are ace! I also have recently picked up a Traverse project. No idea what the weird residue that covers the bike is and it's proving a pain to remove although nail varnish remover seems to work with plenty of elbow grease. It's probably destined for the Turbo so condition isn't really important.

I was also lucky to pick up the correct stem and bar from another member who then checked his garage and found the Mountain LX groupset, including black crank so I'm good to go except for the wheels.

I got the lot for the price of postage so if you ask on here someone will no doubt come up with the parts.

Nice big frame too that. Looking forward to seeing how yours comes along.

Back