Saracen Kili Comp

P2's are a great fork....... but I would personally go for a nice chunky swept fork, to keep in line with the saracen ways :cool:

Thanks for all the nice comments so far. :D

Slow progress to date, had a thought on the comments and have a XT M737 front and rear mech coming.

Am finding it really hard to find any XT cantis though, so may look for a similar quality other brand equivalent. I have some Deore thumbies that I think I will use.

Unfortunately I was injured playing football and am on crutches at the moment, but the silver lining is that I am planning on acuqiring all the parts in the next month ready for it to be ridden when my knee is a bit better.

Hit a few stumbling points tonight :cry:

First of all, my nice new forks I have seem to be about a centremetre too short. I've got a stem en route and if that is too big as well, i'm going to have to buy some new forks.

Then I eventually got around to fitting a few pieces. XT front and Rear mechs on (M737). Then I try the seatpost, nicely greased up, only goes in two inches before it stops. Consider I might have the wrong size seatpost (27.0) so have a look inside and realise the seat-tube is going to need reaming as it has a lot of junk in it.

Was hoping for a straightforward first restoration but now feel disheartened. Summer is round the corner I want to get on and ride it!

I have a very similar frame, same colour, details and everything but mine is badged as a Traverse. It takes a 26.4mm seatpost as do two other similar Saracens I have. Not 100% yours will be the same but I'd take further advice before making that 27.0mm one fit one way or another.

Good news: seatpost fitted and just need a collar for it.

Have bought 4 stems but as the steerer is short, have currently set it up with a Koski stem to match the forks:

IMG_3755.jpg

Steerer is tight but think I can get away with that.

Have a Ritchey stem and bar on it's way from the Sith so once that arrives going to see what that looks like as well.

Got some M737 loveliness as well:

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3759.jpg

Pepporoni forks wont be to everyone taste but they are sturdy and light
and I think they look good!

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

This is where it is right now anyway:

IMG_3762.jpg

As steerer is short so dont have room for a canti hanger, was going to buy one of those Kona type ones which you put on the fork crown. Anyone had a good experience with them or think they are rubbish?

Right, been busy getting things sorted, and now built into a functioning rideable bike.

Ditched the koski stem and black tatty bar for a Ritchey forcelite stem and bar, stem is quite tatty but functionally fine, and as a combo they are awesome. Setapost didn't fit, was too loose so have a 26.8m in as that's the correct size. Unfortunately I went to my bike shop and they only had this ugly as hell seatpost clamp so that's what is on it for now.

Been on one half decent length ride, and it is superb. Everything I hoped it would be all those years back. Took some photos today when I got it out of the shed, so you can see the full build - all M737.

Two things to change in the future - new 8 speed wheels (currently set up with 7 speed) and to get some lighter tyres. Wighed it on my scales with just my weight and then with the bike and it comes in at 26 roughly, which was a bit more than it feels like but then cheap tyres, pepporoni forks and the wheels must all add a bit of weight I suppose. Dont really care on the number though, feels springy and responsive and I love it.

Back