Saracen 1991 Trekker Competition Hydrotech

You could always try heating it up with a hair dryer or a heat gun or a steamer that you use to help soften wall paper with as you can use constant heat with that although i have used a kettle of boiled water in the past just as long as your careful ;) ..

Splash a little petrol on the flames... er... painted ones. Should take them off. Or gentle use of a stanley blade if the paint/coat underneath is solid.

Re:

Aha this has turned up. Not sure how I missed this.

Pretty rare to see even on here.

Looking forward to updates. Any progres?

Apart from now having all the bits to rebuild nothing has happened. I have been concentrating on a 93 Orange Prestige build but as that's pretty much done the Saracen will start moving again.

I have yet to remove the beautiful flames but I'm hoping I'll manage it without taking the paint off underneath. I don't think it's right to repaint a frame if it can be helped.

Possibly have some progress to report by tomorrow evening :)

Re:

Take your time. Original paint is good so worth keeping. Sadly mine was in a state before it had caustic soda melting bits off.

Right I promised an updat so here it is.

Using a little nitromers, a kitchen scourer and some fine sandpaper I manged to remove most of the flames from the left side of the down tube, as expected I also removed a little paint.

Overall the paint which is now 24 years old is still a lovely bright red with the odd chip ;)

If I was going to keep this then I may repaint and source decals but it is more of a project to get it back on the trails and in presentable looking and good mechanical order for now. I will likely sell it after a few rides to fund what I already have.

All the parts i need to get her back on the trails have been cleaned, serviced and checked. The saddle, seatpost, top half of the headset, chain, cassette, chainrings and tyres were scrap or not right so have been replaced.

I hope to start the rebuild this Friday :)

Good work mate :cool: and i'm really looking forward to seeing this little gem all built up and also looking forward to your verdict on how she rides when you get the chance as i know i won't :| :mrgreen: ..

Back