Santa Cruz Heckler comes home

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
several years ago i had a Santa Cruz Heckler, it was when i first started working for GA cycles, so at a guess 10 or 11 years ago, i used it for 9 months including a trip to the alps and a race at Salisbury plain where i came in 10th over 35km so i did like it. unfortunately when i was in the alps it got a rather large bunch of scratches on the down tube due to someone packing it incorrectly on a bike trailer. it pissed me off so much that i sold the frame/fork when i got home.

cut to a month or so ago and the friend of a friend it got sold to sold it back to my friend who then discovered the seat post was seized in the frame, this scared him so he then passed it on to me for less than he paid. so i had a full bike, heckler frame with 5th element coil shock, marzocchi z1 free ride forks, hope m4 brakes, hope hubs on mavic downhill rims and running middleburn and xt gears etc with an easton finishing kit.

that said the bike was in a bit of a poor state, mainly the frame and paint

so i managed to get the post out of the frame, took a huge amount of effort and a little help from a friend to get that thing out!

so here's the build in pictures, oh and FYI the spec is from my ST4, which unfortunately has cracked on the chain stay :(

i was trying nitromorse to remove the paint but no joy
Untitled by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the rear end

the parts

the wheels

cut to 2 weeks later

facing the head tube after paint

the BB faced, rear end re-assembled

powdercoated in original white

facing the disc mounts with the old Hope tech tool

taking shape

almost finished

the 5th element spring is a bit of a state but the shock works spot on, that said i've just won a dhx air on ebay

the build finished, except stickers and the replacement shock, that said it rides lovely as is

Re:

i have a headset facing tool and could borrow the others, with powder coating it makes a lot of sense to do this, it makes the bike so much easier to build

Re:

Unfortunately I didn't even get a chance to ride it! It part funded my trip to new Zealand so the frame set got sold almost straight away, shame really as I liked it when I did the test ride around the street but I got a sensible offer so I took it.

Latest posts

Back