Salsa a la Carte Jellybean

" Salsa's, in comparison, look like they'd be a lot more relaxed; a ton more comfortable and as a result that much more stable. So the ideal long-rider, basically..."
Very comfy, but much more than that! In 40 years of pedalling I've only ever been able to track stand two bikes for any length of time; My '93 Salsa and my 2003 Soulcraft, built by the same fella. It probably helps that they were also the most symmetrical bikes I've ever ridden. Tolerances were Tight! The Salsa went long ago but the Soulcraft I still have, and will do for a long , long while... It's the old horse that knows it's way back to the ranch from town, but also knows the entertaining route!

There was an amazing brown Ala Carte on eBay recently.

I was chatting to the seller offline, trying to come to an agreement on price.

I only wanted the frame and fork (custom-made Sadoff), ideally.

Then, out of nowhere, he went quiet, stopped responding to texts, and the listing came down.

I wonder who got it?

Just so I know who I need to hate.

It was pretty much perfect and now I'll spend the rest of forever trying to hunt another down...

There was an amazing brown Ala Carte on eBay recently.

I was chatting to the seller offline, trying to come to an agreement on price.

I only wanted the frame and fork (custom-made Sadoff), ideally.

Then, out of nowhere, he went quiet, stopped responding to texts, and the listing came down.

I wonder who got it?

Just so I know who I need to hate.

It was pretty much perfect and now I'll spend the rest of forever trying to hunt another down...
I saw that one, ‘‘twas lovely. Ah well, next time.

@ Pw_pw_la Think you nailed it first para. I have owned and ridden most of the iconic retro bikes having worked in the trade and when riding with a big regular possy around Epping Forest bitd. There was seemingly plenty of money ( a 15yr old on new circa £4k 93 Manitou FS ) and rare US import bikes getting a regular hammering around there. Lazy lunchs, tea and cake breaks meant bike swops and proper test comparisons were made - loved this. I remember a Yoof trials jumping my T Max up all over a burned out Maxi and not being worried about it snapping 😂.

Being OCD by nature I was always looking for the ultimate ride. If I have learned one thing on RB over the years, its that the power of marketing and nostalgia far outweighs looks or a frame/bikes performance. Nobody really cares about ride reports but unsurprisingly a good showing in BOTM is highly coveted. As an aside, I have noticed a big increase in groups of guys out riding not only in London but in Herts these days. Its all modern but its just nice to see people out actually riding in this glorious weather. Its all cycling at the end of the day.

Last edited:
@ Pw_pw_la Think you nailed it first para. I have owned and ridden most of the iconic retro bikes having worked in the trade and when riding with a big regular possy around Epping Forest bitd. There was seemingly plenty of money ( a 15yr old on new circa £4k 93 Manitou FS ) and rare US import bikes getting a regular hammering around there. Lazy lunchs, tea and cake breaks meant bike swops and proper test comparisons were made - loved this. I remember a Yoof trials jumping my T Max up all over a burned out Maxi and not being worried about it snapping 😂.

Being OCD by nature I was always looking for the ultimate ride. If I have learned one thing on RB over the years, its that the power of marketing and nostalgia far outweighs looks or a frame/bikes performance. Nobody really cares about ride reports but unsurprisingly a good showing in BOTM is highly coveted. As an aside, I have noticed a big increase in groups of guys out riding not only in London but in Herts these days. Its all modern but its just nice to see people out actually riding in this glorious weather. Its all cycling at the end of the day.
Yes. Looking at old bikes built w/ care is nice but reading about real riding on them is even better.

When you read back stories from insiders/staffers who made and sometimes maintained Team race bikes bitd, it gives a REAL insight into the bikes. So much is driven by hype of often a pretty mediocre product with dreadful CS backing it up but…most people dont like to hear about it or refuse to believe their dream isnt true 🤔

Back