Sachs Wavey

perry":3vlrupt3 said:
Maybe all the people who seem to like them should try a thumbie or rapidfire , imagine shifting only when you wanted to :shock: :LOL:
I disagree thumbies are any better than twists if we considering ergonomic factor. Rapidfire yeah, they are good as well but they have 20 moving parts or so and Sachs has 2. I like them for simplicity, you could repair these yourself, in fact is nothing to broke inside in opposite to rapidfires. And they just work and last long.

I've used gripshift a lot in my time and never had any unwanted shifting issues. The only time I did have this was with Campagnolo Bullet Shifters where you twist the grip which is the whole length of the thing!! :shock:

So Sachs made Wavey, which was good, and SRAM made Gripshift, which wasn't, is that right? And was it after that when SRAM bought Sachs? And bizarrely dropped the name Wavey in favour of Gripshift?

I remember when I came into MTB, you could buy Gripshift for a fiver or less from most shops because they had to strip so many of them off new bikes and replace with Rapidfire, or else the customer wouldn't buy the bike.

Speaking of which, Chain Reaction is selling off SRAM Gripshift 3.0 7-speed rear shifters reduced from £15 to £4. These have 1:1 actuation though, and isn't that the type that isn't compatible with Shimano rear mechs?

That reminds me...
I have a barely used pair of Waveys in a drawer at my Dad's. Shifters for Scapin problem solved! :D
I'll report back if they're crap.

Hi

wavey extreme had adjustable shifter tension & gear selector window, used them bitd with a quartz mech (which had lighter shifting than shimano) it all worked a treat.

Anthony":2g1o18d4 said:
So Sachs made Wavey, which was good, and SRAM made Gripshift, which wasn't, is that right? And was it after that when SRAM bought Sachs? And bizarrely dropped the name Wavey in favour of Gripshift?

I remember when I came into MTB, you could buy Gripshift for a fiver or less from most shops because they had to strip so many of them off new bikes and replace with Rapidfire, or else the customer wouldn't buy the bike.

Speaking of which, Chain Reaction is selling off SRAM Gripshift 3.0 7-speed rear shifters reduced from £15 to £4. These have 1:1 actuation though, and isn't that the type that isn't compatible with Shimano rear mechs?

Yes chap, 1:1 was originally on gripshift ESP and isnt shimano compatible.

I have a NOS/NIB Wavey in a box ;)

I much prefer Gripshift over any of the other methods.
Even replaced my M900's after a few month after they broke with upgraded SRT500R's and they are still going strong.

As with all thing, you either like RapidFire/Thumbies/Twisters etc.. I don't like Thumbies and RF's are ok but just get in the way.
Each to their own.

Back