RS Mag 21 Restoration - One Fork Done :)

wadsy":z7xzfx4q said:
Doug Carter":z7xzfx4q said:
You mentioned a chemical process on the mag legs before primer and paint--can you expound on that a little more? I have not heard anything like that for mag lowers before and have seen a lot of RockShox lowers get repainted before with success.
Cheers,
Doug

I did a lot of research into this (speaking to people in the business of finishing magnesium, not just people who paint stuff!) to ensure that the forks I did didn't have their fresh repainted finish ruined! Yes (as tufty says above) you can very simply repaint the magnesium, but it won't last. A prime example in the link below, done by a pro-shop, but who obviously didn't prep the magnesium correctly...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=346425

After the lower legs have had the existing finish mechanically removed, the legs are chemically cleaned (solution with correct dilution and temperature) then rinsed in de-mineralised water before the 'conversion coat' (as stated by 'tufty' above) - thanks :) - again with correct dilution and temperature of the solution - then thoroughly rinsed again with the water. The legs are then warm-air dried before primer, which must be applied asap, same day really.

Cheers

PM Sent

Back