Restoration of a Rock Shox Mag 21 Sl Ti including color

Candy colors do not require a black base coat....candies are tinted clear coats. How would the the chromed finish of the legs show through the gold candy if there was a black base coat? The only time a black base is used is if there is a chromed paint applied to the legs.

For the powder coating, the shop did use a primer (and lots of it apparently because of the off-gassing), but I'm not sure what kind. I left that expertise up to them.

While looking for someone to paint my legs everyone said that candy needed a black bade coat.
They might have been wrong but multiple videos, like the one bellow shows that process.

The company who painted my legs called it clear gold. Which is some kind of tinted clear coat.

While looking for someone to paint my legs everyone said that candy needed a black bade coat.
They might have been wrong but multiple videos, like the one bellow shows that process.

The company who painted my legs called it clear gold. Which is some kind of tinted clear coat.

That’s enlightening.

OK, so looks like what this video is showing is they took a plastic hard hat, which was most likely "safety yellow" in color. In order to make it look like shiny gold, you have to give it a chrome base coat for the gold candy. And all the chrome sprays I'm aware of, you indeed do put a base coat of high gloss black, then spray the chromed silver on (the mirror effect requires the black base coat), then spray the transparent candy on top.

Maybe your painter did this, which is great because it would help prevent the corrosion that these forks are famous for. However, polishing the legs first, as you did, would then have nothing to do with the final look, nor was it the process originally used (I say this only because I thought you said you had them refinished exactly like they were done stock new). Your painter covered the polished legs with the black, so none of that polish shows through. Also, if black was applied over the legs, I would think you wouldn't want them polished because the black needs a little roughness to key into and stick.

Cool video, wish they would post what products are used.

My legs were painted with clear gold. Directly to the polished surface. Just like they did nack in the days.
Jelly with black base is a option that would reduce the corrotion problem of just using the polished legs.
You also don't need to mirror polish for jelly paint.

So, two processes with pros and cons to both I guess…..
Machine polish and clear gold is less steps, but reduced corrosion resistance.
Etch primer, gloss base, chrome top, clear gold, etc….gives superior corrosion resistance, but more steps.
Decisions, decisions??
Or, etch primer and try and find a gold chrome, finished with clear lacquer..
I guess the one big challenge is to balance corrosion resistance with getting a finish as close to “original SL Ti” finish as possible, not easy by the sounds of it!?
I’d love someone to chip in now and give an easy and exact match, 😂

Spray Can stuff usually works not well. The metallic ones usually dissolve when you add a clear coat.
That why i got professionals to do it.

I never seen one with black easton tubes in real life.
Also the break arch was not really polished like in this add above.

Spray Can stuff usually works not well. The metallic ones usually dissolve when you add a clear coat.
That why i got professionals to do it.

I never seen one with black easton tubes in real life.
Also the break arch was not really polished like in this add above.
After some quick searching for pro’s, I may have to rethink my options…..prices are coming out at more than the forks cost, ouch!

Back