RS Mag 21 Restoration - One Fork Done :)

Re: Re:

Giom6":2ui5pcod said:
Superb job Martin, they look ace!

Did you have to do anything to the crown?

Thanks Gio :)

No, the crown was 'nos' ...just fitted the bolts to the correct torque.

Cheers

Re:

Wow ... look at those babies. :shock:

Awesome work!

I have a crusty old Quadra 21 - do you take commissions? ;)

You mentioned a chemical process on the mag legs before primer and paint--can you expound on that a little more? I have not heard anything like that for mag lowers before and have seen a lot of RockShox lowers get repainted before with success.

Cheers,

Doug

Doug Carter":2fanujsv said:
You mentioned a chemical process on the mag legs before primer and paint
My guess would be an Alodine™ or similar wash to passivate the surface. Creates a very light coat of metal oxide (similar to anodisation) which protects the metal. Aluminium (and particularly magnesium alloys) are highly reactive, failing to chemically seal the surface will result in bubbling, peeling and flaking when the metal underneath starts to react with something. And that really is when, not if.

Scotchbrite, primer and paint will work, and your paintjob won't peel straight away, but it won't last, either.

Doug Carter":1i238o17 said:
You mentioned a chemical process on the mag legs before primer and paint--can you expound on that a little more? I have not heard anything like that for mag lowers before and have seen a lot of RockShox lowers get repainted before with success.
Cheers,
Doug

I did a lot of research into this (speaking to people in the business of finishing magnesium, not just people who paint stuff!) to ensure that the forks I did didn't have their fresh repainted finish ruined! Yes (as tufty says above) you can very simply repaint the magnesium, but it won't last. A prime example in the link below, done by a pro-shop, but who obviously didn't prep the magnesium correctly...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=346425

After the lower legs have had the existing finish mechanically removed, the legs are chemically cleaned (solution with correct dilution and temperature) then rinsed in de-mineralised water before the 'conversion coat' (as stated by 'tufty' above) - thanks :) - again with correct dilution and temperature of the solution - then thoroughly rinsed again with the water. The legs are then warm-air dried before primer, which must be applied asap, same day really.

Cheers

Back