RRotM - Retro rider of the month - Jan - Something Different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres so many riders that inspired me in my yoof but one sticks out Phil Corley who's shop I used to ride to always used to give us young-uns tips and tell stories and sometimes a freebie like a tube or some bar tape or maybe he felt sorry for me seeing the amount of patches on my spare inner tube ( He said that it would cost me 5 seconds on a TT with all those patches on it I believed him I was 13) and the shocking state of my handle bar tape held together with sellotape where it had split (a tidy bike is a fast bike he told me) I'd never heard of Beryl back in them days I couldn't afford cycling weekly
so Jamie If I read the rules correctly I can put up another rider yes
PhilCorley78.jpg

Yes you can put up another rider as its the rider we will vote for, not the person putting it up. So for sure Kingbling, that sounds good to me. For this month with this kind of poll there were no rules I could find, so I took it upon myself to make some up. :) A bit of a democratic dictatorship style of running it ;)
We should have a limit though so we will randomly say no more than two nominations each and no doubles obviously.
Some really interesting choices so far and its really good to hear why people are putting them forward. Remember though that it doesn't have to just be road racers, it can be anyone to do with old machines, even if they weren't old to them, but to us now are regarded as retro.

Jamie

Re:

Two?

Well in that case, it has to be our local lad,

Sean Yates! :cool:

Attachments

• Sean Yates.jpg
    Sean Yates.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 6,852
Can't see beyond the rather handy French rider who destroyed the field in 1984 and came an agonising second in 1989.....

I have no idea who you could possibly mean bigfatron ;)
Better name and shame and post him up :)

Jamie

bigfatron":2u0s4l2q said:
Can't see beyond the rather handy French rider who destroyed the field in 1984 and came an agonising second in 1989.....
he did quite well in the 83 tour too ;)

Re:

Now that we can submit two nominations and with due consideration to all the superb riders already mentioned and those not; I would like to add Reg Harris to the list, a rear super star of the track.
A brief history can be found here http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... s_main.htm and here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reg_Harris.
Here are a couple of photos I found when searching for images.

Reg winning in the 1950’s.

Reg winning again, he finished first to win the British Sprint title in 1974 at the age of 54.

One other that should be on the list is Eileen Seridan.

Attachments

• Reg Harris 1050's.jpg
    Reg Harris 1050's.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 6,762
  • 74champion-thumb.JPG
    74champion-thumb.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 6,762
Well if we can have two then I'll go with another irishman - Stephen Roche! It was watching the la plagne stage of the 87 tour on C4 that first made me realise that this cycling thing was something special :)

Attachments

• sroche_worldsvictory87.jpg
    sroche_worldsvictory87.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 6,726
  • 4f411c7dd400d8cc3ebd00031ff0e07d_XL (Small).jpg
    4f411c7dd400d8cc3ebd00031ff0e07d_XL (Small).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 6,726
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back