Royce hubs, British engineering and 29er wheels

Thanks all for the compliments,

And Uno-Speedo, yes you did sell it to me. As you can see I am a very happy customer. Whenever I ride by myself the Curtlo is the bike of choice :D . The frame is compact and agile, with a good length and quick steering helped by the 45mm rake of the Salsa forks. The new wheels are noticeably stiff compared to the Mavic's they replaced, but the wider rims allow very low pressures safely.

Next on the to do list is a service for and fitting of my polished R1 brakes, they will echo the Royce hubs finish nicely. Plus I am considering to get a Royce BB as the current Shimano unit is a tad short, the 38t runs very close to the chainstay. Oh and I need to shorten the QR threaded section that sticks out.

Enjoy!!

Hey, how are the hubs doing now you've had a bit of time to evaluate them?

I've just ordered the rear disc Venus! :)

Second time the question pops up, I posted this on here just a week ago

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... t=#1061654

So the Royce hubs still look the biz and are holding up very well to my Clydesdale frame (17 stone ready to ride). They are now 3 month old and get 2 hours a week excercise. Not much, but January through March every ride is muddy and gritty, we have some deep loose sand here in the heather fields around Assen. Monday a week ago I had a colleague over from Scotland and showed him the "Dutch Mountains" on the Curtlo. (that'll be a former landfill converted to recreational area with 20m elevation)

Oh and they are quiet, the SS Curtlo with is closer to silent than any bike I've ever ridden. They are so quiet I had to fix the little creak in my Bracket ...
I changed a UN72 unit for a 20?year old Litespeed titanium BB. Old skool solid axle with sealed bearings and individual light alloy cups and an adjustable lock ring. What progress?

Enjoy!!

I have to update my comments about the hub sound. I was out on the Curtlo yesterday for an hour. It was great weather and really nice to ride in short sleeve jersey and shorts again. But after the queries here I aid attention to the sounds and I have to say the rear hub noise is subtly different. Not clicky or noisy like Hope and DT in any way, but it is a little bit more present. My best guess is that the bits in the hub are bedding in and likely in the warm weather the lubricant (grease?) in the hub is less viscous.

Oh and the creak in the cranks has returned as well .... plan to take it all apart and put together with some assembly paste.

Enjoy!!

Latest posts

Back