Royce Bottom Bracket Removal- UPDATE- SUCCESS

Re: Bottom Bracket Removal

What fun. Not sure bunging it in the oven would help with the galling, but it would remove that horrible paint on the Ti shell which (we all know is a total crime to paint Ti in the first place).

Re: Bottom Bracket Removal

hollister":1j1mup0x said:
Cut it in half down the centerline and slip both cups off
Indeed, option A This was the only way to do it. I once put a standard shimano BB in a Ti frame but forgot tp lube it. Well i didnt forget, put it off as it was only going in to check a crank set up. Dear God it was a nightmare to remove :shock: and that was in a day and was clean. This could have been in there for 10 years
hollister":1j1mup0x said:
File flats on the 2 pieces of shell, clamp em in a vise, and then use the correct bb tool to get the cups out

Dyna":1j1mup0x said:
Before you ask, i have already had a go using a big spanner and the proper Royce removal tool. Any more leverage on it will damage the tool pins.
;)

Well as above i went for option A. which was to grind a flat to thin the metal then a dermel and 2mm grinding wheel to make the cut
You can see at the ends the threads of the ...er :? ..thread, when i ground over that area i used minimum pressure till the merest hind of discolouration started to show through. To go deeper at this stage would mark the threads which is undesirable.

I carefully cut right through the middle section then used a hammer and screwdriver the lever the middle till the ends cracked. This is what i was hoping was going to happen as i couldnt cut the slot right across the threads i had to hope just the stress on the thinned metal from levering the screwdriver would snap it.

Im off to the mechanics to give it another go with the bb tool. No guarantees but the pressure is off to some degree. Clamped such that the torque on it will help spread the cut i might be lucky that it suddenly frees. It is at least another area we can spray a release agent into.
If it doesnt release ill do the same to the other side, pretty sure that would be it :cool:

Looks very rough but thats really down to the levering and hammering. Im well chuffed as to how this is going. :D

Attachments

• half done (Medium).JPG
    half done (Medium).JPG
    64 KB · Views: 360
Re: Bottom Bracket Removal- UPDATE

The broken edges may damage the aluminium cups as you wind them out, I'd say do the other side as well and hope to remove the cups without any turning action.

Re: Bottom Bracket Removal- UPDATE- SUCCESS

Sorted :D

gtRTSdh":21tkz0d0 said:
The broken edges may damage the aluminium cups as you wind them out, I'd say do the other side as well and hope to remove the cups without any turning action.
I had taken note of that. Once it cracked it didnt move out of alignment. cleaned them really.

The only difficult part was removing the inner cover/shell shell. The bearing on one side had to be sacrificed as there is effectively no room to drift it off :? i cracked the outer ring in the vice and took it apart. I'd be replacing them as a matter of routine,so it makes this job easier. Simple matter to turn it over with the shell off and hammer the other bearing off.

Good successful job :D

Attachments

• Hooray Success 002 (Medium).JPG
    Hooray Success 002 (Medium).JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 344
Back