Rounded Allen key head

I have successfully used the torx trick, but simply by hammering it into the rounded hole. It's best if you just take off the tips of the torx with a file to make it a little tapered as it then fits easier. It worked successfully with a rusted M6 on the eccentric adjuster on my tandem.

First, make sure you've soaked the thread in a PROPER penetrating fluid for at least 24 hrs. Plusgas is best IMO.

I'd Hammer in the next size up imperial allen key - cut the shank off, so you just have a hex bar. Hammer it in hard, and get a socket on it.

This has worked for me on heavily seized engine parts that were way further gone than anything I've ever come across on a bike.

My_Teenage_Self":1r6extsb said:
First, make sure you've soaked the thread in a PROPER penetrating fluid for at least 24 hrs. Plusgas is best IMO.

I'd Hammer in the next size up imperial allen key - cut the shank off, so you just have a hex bar. Hammer it in hard, and get a socket on it.

This has worked for me on heavily seized engine parts that were way further gone than anything I've ever come across on a bike.

Brill. Thank you. I think a good soak with Plusgas is worth a shot. In all honesty, I should have done this first!

If you can soak it for a week, it'll practically fall out :) people underestimate how long it needs to work IMO.

I've soaked car parts that have been in place for literally decades, for a week or two at times, and 80% of the time it does the trick, and they spin out easy first time.

My_Teenage_Self":27q9o8ey said:
If you can soak it for a week, it'll practically fall out :) people underestimate how long it needs to work IMO.

I've soaked car parts that have been in place for literally decades, for a week or two at times, and 80% of the time it does the trick, and they spin out easy first time.

I can soak it for a week or more. I'm in no rush!

Unless it's threadlocked...... plusgas won't help much there. Need some heat. Chuck a pan of boiling water over it.

The other bolt didn't look like it was threadlocked and came off with a fair degree of force. I'll try the plusgas soak first and if that fails I'll put the kettle on!

Ive had those easy outs snap on me, so be aware the smaller ones might just do that if the bolt is tight.

I'd be for using an epoxy putty/magic metal type thing, maybe even substituting the allen key for a torx, to maximize the surface area of the tool in the epoxy.

dyna-ti":34plkkvo said:
Ive had those easy outs snap on me, so be aware the smaller ones might just do that if the bolt is tight.

I'd be for using an epoxy putty/magic metal type thing, maybe even substituting the allen key for a torx, to maximize the surface area of the tool in the epoxy.

Cheers for the tip. Can anyone recommend a suitable epoxy metal. There seems to be a lot of choice on Amazon!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back