Rolf Harris found guilty

On a purple chopper no less. I met Saville once, at a charity event my dad organised in the seventies. I obviously wasn't his type.

The History Man":2bx0h99x said:
On a purple chopper no less.

I had a purple one too, which was second hand courtesy of Mum & Dad some time in the 80s. Apparently it was the rarest out of all the available paint jobs!

David

Re:

...still think there are more to fall from grace. There are other big names being bounded around at work that would be shocking if true...

I don't know why rape cases seem to accept such a low burden of proof, if it was any other kind of crime the CPS would have told the Police to Foxtrot Oscar and not waste public funds. I didn't think his accusers claims were credible, one of them ended up knocking boots with him [By choice] for years, hardly behaviour consistent with victim-hood. It's very telling that his daughter- who was a witness stood by him throughout.
The jury deliberated for over 30 hours. From what people who've served on juries have told me that suggests that most jurers believed his innocence/ were undecided and were then brow beaten by one or maybe two jurers who had their own agenda. Eventually in that situation you give in because you don't want to spend another night in a hotel away from your family.
I've always thought that British justice was a bit flaky, quite frankly today it is contemptable.

Rich Aitch":jtswrxrk said:
I don't know why rape cases seem to accept such a low burden of proof, if it was any other kind of crime the CPS would have told the Police to Foxtrot Oscar and not waste public funds. I didn't think his accusers claims were credible, one of them ended up knocking boots with him [By choice] for years, hardly behaviour consistent with victim-hood. It's very telling that his daughter- who was a witness stood by him throughout.
Or at least appeared to.

Whether the pictures tell the story, or whether there's any truth in how orchestrated that was - well we can all draw our own conclusions.

As to the burden of proof, we don't really know how damning the evidence was.

Rich Aitch":jtswrxrk said:
The jury deliberated for over 30 hours. From what people who've served on juries have told me that suggests that most jurers believed his innocence/ were undecided and were then brow beaten by one or maybe two jurers who had their own agenda. Eventually in that situation you give in because you don't want to spend another night in a hotel away from your family.
I've always thought that British justice was a bit flaky, quite frankly today it is contemptable.
I remain unconvinced.

I'm wary of celebs from earlier times being judged at a modern standard, for the behaviours that were kinda more tolerated back then - but there's a difference between lines being blurred, and true guilt.

For all that's said about a witch hunt, Savile was not tried in a court of law, and nothing has been legally proved, but most accept he done did it, and the rabbit done died. Now I'm not saying that sets any kind of precedent that surely there must have been others, but all the same, doesn't mean there were no others who were guilty.

After all, there's been several similar trials, where the accused have been acquitted. The rationale for the acceptance of Savile being guilty (and not necessarily that every accuser is being honest...) is largely: no smoke without fire, open secrets, and something of a known, but unspoken perception.

In the case of Rolf, at the start, I didn't want to believe it, either - but even if you were to subscribe to the belief that he's just a serial philanderer, you'd have to say - there's quite a discrepancy between the prevailing, previous public perception, and the reality. What makes you so convinced the rabbit hole didn't go a lot deeper?

Don't worry, the Criminal Protection Service send plenty of rape cases to the archives as well for the most specious reasons. I am personally aware of cases where the suspects have gone onto rape someone else because they still had their liberty, all thanks to the CPS. Yet another victim, all because the system is a big game intended to only offer succour and nourishment to those that feed off it for a living.

Cynical? Moi?

Back