Regina Sport bike frames

slartibartfast

Dirt Disciple
Hi all

Does anyone on the forum have any knowledge of Regina bike frames? I've heard of the brand but only for components.

I've found this frameset for sale and it seems to be ticking the right boxes for a single speed commuter build - size, Reynolds 501 steel, forged drop-outs, cheap, not too shabby looking. Its up for grabs at what seems a great price, if I can tie in my Scotland-South Coast work week this week I'll hopefully pick it up on the way past (its in Cheshire)

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

It appears to be French judging by the Reynolds sticker (clearer in the other photos) and from the eighties but other than that I can't find/work out anything about them

I've certainly never seen a BB like that. Is it a standard type for the frame age? And am I heading into hard-to-replace-french-thread-BB-territory? The dropouts look unusual to me to, I'm guessing there's some kind of adjuster screw thats difficult to make out.

If anyone has any knowledge/advice/thoughts that would be great.

I have a Regina Sport, and here's what I found out.

Regina Sport is a French brand, owned by the Ets Betbeder in Oloron-Ste-Marie. The frames were reportedly made by Cycles CAYRE, a small local artisan. Besides 'Regina Sport', they were also badged 'Lapebie' and 'Louison Bobet'.

1k0.jpg

There are a few threads over on Bikeforums on them.

This is mine:

1k0.jpg

cheers Non-Fixie, you've found out more than I managed :)

quite like the look of the frame to be honest, and the seller has emailed back - its close enough to the motorway for a detour to collect, and cheap enough that I can bodge-as-I-go learning on my first bike build without throwing lots of money away if I get it wrong

done a bit of digging and (assuming it has the correct Reynolds sticker on it) its no earlier than 1982 so hopefully it'll be standard british threads. Going to use what you found for further googling too, many thanks for your help :)

well, I've bought it! will collect tomorrow

my retro adventure begins here....will have to start a thread for it :)

ps this means there's going to be a barrage of stupid noob questions, but I promise to use the search function first!

non-fixie":arr6pbeg said:
Congratulations! Welcome to the Regina Sport Owners Club!

I'm in an owners club! :D

Quite looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Plan will be to strip and grease the headset and BB, and then build up a single speeder for commuting and general pottering around on. I'm hoping the paintwork is good enough to not need a full strip, although I may well do that further down the line anyway.

I'd want to leave the paint as-is, if possible. It's only original once, and it looks quite charming from where I'm sitting.

But when I bought a bike with a non-matching fork a while back, I had a local DIY shop mix me a small can of paint in the more or less correct color. The investment was about €20 for the paint, a brush and a gold lug lining pen. And two Sunday afternoons, but I think it was worth that.

Before-after shot:

1k0.jpg

Re:

Regina Sport bikes were amazing! I used to own one until it literally got worn down until it was unsafe.

They were made in France, 3 of them won Le Tour de France, and in their day (1970s) they were regarded as the height of engineering and art on a bike (all the owners can appreciate this).

If I had a chance to build a frame again I would!

Re: Re:

hermajestyscyclist":a22pjtbl said:
Regina Sport bikes were amazing! I used to own one until it literally got worn down until it was unsafe.

They were made in France, 3 of them won Le Tour de France, and in their day (1970s) they were regarded as the height of engineering and art on a bike (all the owners can appreciate this).

If I had a chance to build a frame again I would!

Thanks for posting! Interesting. Do you have any more information on those TdF wins?

Back