Some Nice Fountain Pens

Skynet

Senior Retro Guru
I don't need quite so many pens so....

Swan 4660 Leverless £130
This one is too broad and too wet for my style of writing. It has a number 6 nib which is huge compared to the most common number 2 nib. It does have some flex (it's not an eternal nib which doesn't).

Omas M CM LXXXVIII £260
These were made in 1988 to commemorate the 900th anniversary of the founding University in Bologna. It's very art deco and very classy. The nib is a medium although I'd say it was finer side of medium. Being a relevantly modern pen there isn't really any flex. If you press it very varies the line slightly but it's not true flex. This age of Omas still had nibs that were made in-house.

Montegragga Ali Limited £660
I saw a photo of this and thought it looked smart, the black and white, I didn't realise it was anything to do with anything or anyone. I don't watch boxing but everyone has heard of Ali. The sterling silver version is not super limited, 802/1942 (his birth year). It's a medium nib, no flex but it's really smooth. It has been dipped to try out, I think it's a bit sad if you buy a pen and never use it at all. The outer slip box isn't in very condition but the presentation box is fine, with a few small marks (it's covered card, not a wood case like some limited editions use). There's also the certificate of authenticity and book on the making of the pen and Ali.

A few pen shops still have brand news ones in for around £1400, they were $2500 when first released (I can't remember the original UK price).

Back