RockShox Judy XC 95 rebuild help

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
Another day, another need for help from you - especially Judy XC aficionados!

Firstly though, big thanks to everyone for the wealth of information previously posted which helped me get this far, especially in this thread here: 1996 Judy XC Rebuild - FINISHED

Despite all that I have a couple of questions about a pair of Judys that arrived today from another far-afield eBay purchase, which looked great from the external pics in the ad, and to be fair, the internals ain't too bad either. The MCUs came out in one piece and are still fairly flexible, despite one of the elastomers on side having deformed, so I'll hunt for a NOS/new reproduction set of replacements (I don't fancy the Kronos upgrade springs but will concede to fitting these if easier to come by). The left stanchion has some very slight scratches/scores, presumably from grit embedded in the wiper seal at some point, but these are very light and fine, so hopefully won't impede the function when rebuilt.

Here are the Qs:
1. I've stripped them tonight, but the white (yellow) washer/bush thing from atop the oil damper was flipped on its side (semi-stuck) when I inspected inside the leg, so I had to pull it out to clean it and make sure it goes back in the right way up, but should it have even come out from the top of the leg in the first place?

2. Inside the dummy leg, there's a red washer/seal - should it be there? What's it for and should i attempt to remove it?

3. The oil damper is "whooshing" like I presume it should but sometimes I get 5 or 6mm of slack/movement before the rod seems to engage the damper - is this normal/okay/buggered?

I don't really want to remove the damper (lack of special tools) but will properly grease up everything before it all goes back together and will fit a new set of dust/wiper seals too.

Thanks in advance.
Pics to assist:

Re:

Which seals, new style ones don't for.

A gap in the damper means no oil, you need more in.

This but a scratch on the stanchion, it makes it less smooth and check the bushing.

Thank you FC! All points duly noted. There's no real rush to get these rebuilt so will do it all properly.

Anybody know for NOS dust/wiper seals (correct ones)?

Re:

Hi regan

I haven't found new dust seals either. If you find some the let me know ;)

Re: Re:

Gruff":69afnw71 said:
Hi regan

I haven't found new dust seals either. If you find some the let me know ;)

Not what I wanted to hear Gareth! I gather these are like rocking horse shat then?

I will do, but being a newbie noob new kid round here, I'm probably not the best person to ask. But I have my ways of finding stuff so the hunt is on!!

Re:

I'm not sure but it may be worth pm'ing FMJ on here to see if he's got some in his stash.

Re: Re:

Gruff":3t6vx5lq said:
I'm not sure but it may be worth pm'ing FMJ on here to see if he's got some in his stash.
Thanks for reminder! I've been so busy past week or so I'd forgot I've already contacted him about other bits and he mentioned Judy spares! :facepalm:

More help needed please guys...
I've been poring over GT-Steve's Judy rebuild thread but I have a problem in the fact my internals seem to be missing some bushes/washers. And I have an extra black bush/washer that I think goes on top of the damper shaft (it fits and the yellowish dished washer will sit it the top of it) but there's only one and the whole damper shaft length would be longer than the dummy if I fit it!??!?! And I can't see anything on Steve's rebuild that looks similar.
I have 2 sets of Judys so I've stripped the damper leg on the spare set to check but the black mystery bush/washer is stuck inside the stanchion with the dished yellow one!

How the feck do these go back together? Do I need the black bit?

Pulling my hair out atm :'(

That black bit isn't for the damper if memory serves, it sits inside the top adjuster and you fit a spring inside it. The white bit fits on the damper shaft and the spring or elastomer sits on that when all put together. Hope that makes sense.

Back