Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X

Update

RC31's You are not wrong. I would like to fit a pair if possible. Finding a nice enough set for a fully restored bike might be a struggle but I am open to suggestions.

For interest I did find a font match, exactly matched. So I printed these and provided them for Chas to use as a template. So if anyone needs info please do PM me. I believe it was crillion itallic or something like that, that was an amzing story in iteself. I went on some font forum, posted a photo of my font and within 30mins some font nerd had got back to the bike nerd with a match. Fantastic. The wonders of the interweb :shock:

Current thinking is single speed with period parts. The bolx just deserve to be stripped especially at 14 1/2" frame it will be super light with minimal gear.

I would have thought the frame is now tarted up fabrication wise, bits of chainsuck scars to be sorted, down tube bottle boss to be reheated and repaired if its just the silver solder or a diamond patch put on if its the frame. Its like waiting for a baby to be born. :roll:

Again will keep you in the loop as progress continues.
Cheers Happy Christmas and have a good New Year
:D

How did this D.O.G.S get along......, thread resurrection but any updates for us...?

Well well, how many years? Could this be the longest restoration? Thanks for reminding me.
Quick update but more to come. Most parts located, frame painted but not happy so more work to be done on that. RC 35's restored and ready to be fitted. Cranks fitted. Any how I will take some pics this week and post an update?
.................must complete before this project is 10 years old.

Re:

Glad to hear it's getting there... eventually :LOL:

Be sure to update us with pics of the progress, and completed bike :)

Just about time for another update. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics.
Well as you can see things do progress with time.

OK where was I? So we went to pick up the frames (years ago). As you can see the font is not as per original. In all honesty I was very disapointed having travelled half way around the world to be presented with an alternative font. I wont go into the ins and outs but despite all my efforts in printing off and sending the correct font it just did not happen......... :( , some things are not to be. I guess this stalled the project a bit. Still not sure what I will do. Perhaps rub back the font areas on the top tube and down tube and get sprayed in again with the correct font. Somehow its just not the same with this font!

Anyhow popped down to my good friend Cliff at Royce who sorted me out a new BB for the cranks which match the frame nicely, Its always an absolute pleasure spending an hour with Cliff while he works his magic and we run the Campag taps through the frame.

A set of RC 35's from justbackdated, first generation I believe with the black tubular brace, restored and ready to go, many thanks Tim.

Other period goodies that have been bought over the tears include, X-Lite, Pace, Pauls, Mavic, Syncros, Selle Italia, Continental.

I am still looking for a headset and may end up with a period road model which would not be out of place. I remember when I laced a Shimano 600 hub that needed a wider axle installed so I could fit 8 speed road ratio with small gears up front. It was a great time of experimentation.

Will keep you in the loop on the next lap. 2016 here we come!! :roll:

Attachments

• DB frame.jpg
    DB frame.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 469
Re:

That looks lovely...well done for getting it painted. Mine is still sat in its box :?

Are those decals a later or current font as they don't look the same as the originals?

Class. The font is sprayed into the paintwork as per the original. But as mentioned earlier you can see the font is a more recent. It should be Crillee SB Italic, I think.

Back