Road Groupset Question: Shimano Di2 vs SRAM Red

No, there are a couple of places around a grand, but you have to watch the specifications, as some are only offering internal wiring.

Hi Fellas, Just wanted to add my thruppence worth. I do a lot of racing and regularly see others throw massive amounts of money in the expectation of marginal gains. The problem is that once the bike has got anything like Ultegra (other brands are available ;-) or above on it then unless you're a very good rider you will notice no gains whatsoever. Handbuilt wheels a stiff frame and proper fitting are the only things that you will see any kind of gain from. I've set all my TT records on handbuilt semi aero wheels with an aero jacket cover on the rear. They cost £390 and are faster than my £1500 factory Zipps. Another example is that the difference between my cheap alloy training bike with no aero gear or clothes and my TT bike is 1 minute over the 10 and 2.20mins over the 25 and one cost thousands more. Diet and training are the only other place that huge gains can be made a few pounds off your ass and some decent miles on a heavy bike will see you absolutely smash any PB's you have. I wouldn't want to put you off your dream build lets face it we all would if we could but unless you can ride it with the fast boys then everyone will be secretly smiling as they pass you on their garden gate off Ebay.
Paul.

Hi Paul, welcome aboard and thanks for your input.

At present I have a Rourke frame, a pair of carbon Mizuno forks, some very nice and light Shimano wheels, a USE seatpost and matching stem.... and that's it. So, in order to make any form of forward motion I am going to have to buy a groupset of some sort or another. :mrgreen:

I figure that as I need to buy something, then in order to do the frame justice it should be high quality, otherwise I might just as well go to Halfords or Argos and get a BSO with drop bars.

Many years shooting in regional, National and International competition taught me that top quality kit performs better and gives a lot less problems, so when I'm building bikes I take a similar approach. Whether I can exploit the advantages top kit brings, is another matter entirely. :oops:

i like the buy the best you can afford approach neil, i went out in the assos super tight,s this evening andthey felt super comfy.i plan on building a carbon bike next year and will probably go for campag chorus 11 speed and then upgrade it when the battery cable options gt a bit neater

I agree Matt.

On your suggestion I had a good look at the modern Campag, and if it were not for the fact I already have some super light Shimano wheels, I would quite possibly go that way.

For this build, I am going the best I can get at the price I can afford.

Back