Road cyclists and hydration

Re: Re:

jimo746":3ntyvbbx said:
Ok, so the pros get a service car and bottles brought up to them, but what about us amateurs out for a ride? 2 x 750ml bottles would last me a couple of hours depending on the weather, so what if you were out for 4 or 5 hours? Surely a camelbak would make sense then?

Yes. But you would look less like you were in the TDF. And you just spent £2000 on a CF bike - that is about 2 seconds faster on a hour long mountain climb than a 5 year old alu one you could have bought for £200 on ebay - exactly so you can look as much like a professional as possible.

Worse, all the other roadies who have done the same thing would hate you.

Dunno how you lot manage to actually get into any sort of rhythm on the road, you must be stopping for a leak (or a dribble) every 5 km with the amount of liquid you seem to need

I managed just fine (in the UK) with two ordinary sized bottles and starting the ride properly hydrated, which isn't particularly difficult, but seems to be a rare occurrence. Anything over maybe ~100km and maybe 20 degrees I'd stop at a shop somewhere for a top up. And TBH it's all but impossible to ride any road route in the UK with out passing something like a corner shop or cafe. unless you are being deliberately obtuse to prove a point. Or exaggerating.

At least I know why so many trail centres are always muddy, even if it hasn't rained for two months.

mattr":1b7xh1xx said:
it's all but impossible to ride any road route in the UK with out passing something like a corner shop or cafe. unless you are being deliberately obtuse to prove a point. Or exaggerating.

Plenty of such routes up here, especially if you go out on a Sunday! I take the general point though. Used to replenish from streams and anywhere else back in the day. Used three or four bottles and some pop in the pannier.

As an aside, I have been really saddened that returning to cycling after a break of a couple of years that there seem to be loads of energy gel wrappers, presumably left in the countryside by roadies. :-(

Can honestly say I'd never seen them in the past.

Great point, and to add plenty of wrappers, etc. on the off road trails too. We have caught a few of the w***ers red handed, and now we have cameras on some pretty remote spots to tackle exactly this. It is the countryside for ***** sake, what the hell are people thinking?

I seem to find the same - after every sportive I go and collect the discarded inner tubes and bottles, saves me buying them! I see more of this off-road on my local singletrack too though.

Miserable gits are miserable gits though. The £4000 carbon 650b-ers are just as bad about my rigid singlespeed as the 'oh you are still in the metal age' roadies.

I was out riding my singletrack last weekend with my kids when Dr Nobhead came up behind, repeatedly screeching his brakes on my backside. I let him pass when there was space to pull over then repeated the trick on him, except I was hanging on to his full sus rig with my rigid singlespeed. Childish I admit, but satisfying.

Back