Ritchey 2 x 9 Help

terryhfs":3boz7m46 said:
The only way to fit 9 things where there used to be 8 is to put the 9 things closer together than the 8 were.

Almost but not quite, the extra cog on the Ritchey had an element of dish to it so rather than needing a cog and a spacer, you just use the cog so it only occupied a mm or two on the freehub. The way it used to work was if you had an old 8 speed shimano freehub you'd knock off the press fit silver spacer that sat on the inside of the freehub to make a couple of mm extra space and then you pop on the cog and then your cassette. If you were brave you could then use a TNT 10tooth lock ring cog and a set of Mavic shifters (which have 15 notches on em) and you could run a 10 speed set up with 8 speed spacing!
Not sure about the Ritchey freehub though. Edit, I have just noticed that on the ritchey catalogue above the hub has got a black press fit washer on the freehub, check yours and if it does then knock it off with a hammer and flat blade screwdriver, should free up a mm

Have you tried a different lock ring? Some are far deeper than others (the cheaper the cassette, the longer the lock ring normally as they try and save weight on the pricey ones!

Hi guys, after a enjoyable ride out this afternoon, I return to this problem, try as I might I still cant work it out. took it all apart and taken some pics to try and help.... pete I am confussed.. help.... anyone... ! thanks Jack BTW, I have that catalog, and it does'nt really shed any light.. :roll: anyway pics...

First off I am using a Ritchey WCS Hub and OCR Rim ➡️

P1020234.jpg

P1020219.jpg

P1020236.jpg

8 speed shimano freehub body.. ➡️
P1020222.jpg

Installation of 33t Ritchey Sprocket onto freehub body.. ➡️
P1020223.jpg

Next Installation of cassette, this is a Sram model, although there is no difference other than weight. ➡️
Rear of cassette
P1020224.jpg

Showing cassette installed with ritchey 33t sprocket and 7 of the 8 sprockets from the cassette fitted , this shows the amount of freehub body left to install the 8th sprocket or (Lock ring) , which is not enough for the eighth sprocket to engage properly onto the freehub body, this is where I am stuck ?
P1020231.jpg

This pic shows the 'overlap' that the eighth sprocket causes, which although engages slightly, I think that once pressure is applied it may damage the end of the freehub body and potentially rip the lockring out..
P1020232.jpg

Heres the Ritchey lockring, which is quite deep, (I had a problem pete with a CK Rear hub a few years ago with a shimano lockring not being deep enough to 'lock' the cassette onto the freehub body , ended up using a Sram lockring which was much deeper,so I understand what you mean there ;),)
P1020230.jpg

P1020229.jpg

This is actually deep enough to lock the cassette onto the freehub body, Just...

The only other part I am not sure of is this, have not got a clue where it goes ➡️
P1020228.jpg

P1020227.jpg

Where am I going wrong chaps.. ?

TIA

I don't think you are doing anything wrong with the assembly per se.

However I would suggest you strip everything down into its component parts, including the cassette and clean them all until there is no dirt at all. Pay special attention to the grooves on the free hub and cassette, the threads on the free hub and lock ring and all the mating surfaces e.g. spacers to cassette rings and between the lock ring face and the free hub.

I believe the dirt on the free hub, cassette and lock ring is what's stopping it assembling properly. Once you have reassembled your cassette and done it up tightly and everything is clean it should go together a lot better.

I think the washer which you haven't placed yet goes between the cassette and lock ring.

Good luck.

This may sound daft, but i'll say it anyway. Have you tried it with an XT cassette? There's also a subtle difference between the 4arm and 5arm (30t or 28t) spiders can't remember which way round, but from memory one of them sits further on the freehub body. I've had a quick look through some old mags and they all have XT cassettes.

P20":3w45nz4y said:
This may sound daft, but i'll say it anyway. Have you tried it with an XT cassette? There's also a subtle difference between the 4arm and 5arm (30t or 28t) spiders can't remember which way round, but from memory one of them sits further on the freehub body. I've had a quick look through some old mags and they all have XT cassettes.

I thought that too, but didn't know the specifics for sure.

Thanks guys for the replies and advice.. :)

Dr.Robotnik wrote :

I don't think you are doing anything wrong with the assembly per se.

However I would suggest you strip everything down into its component parts, including the cassette and clean them all until there is no dirt at all. Pay special attention to the grooves on the free hub and cassette, the threads on the free hub and lock ring and all the mating surfaces e.g. spacers to cassette rings and between the lock ring face and the free hub.

I believe the dirt on the free hub, cassette and lock ring is what's stopping it assembling properly. Once you have reassembled your cassette and done it up tightly and everything is clean it should go together a lot better.

I think the washer which you haven't placed yet goes between the cassette and lock ring.

The dirt on the cassette and freehub body was once clean :LOL: and to be honest it was the same even when it is spotless, and if you look at the 33t ritchey ring installed , it cannot physically fit any further onto the freehub body, even if it was cleaned,
and also the ritchey washer does not seem to fit correctly inbetween the smallest sprocket and ritchey lockring, Its a lot thicker than the standard washers normally supplied and found in this area, and also its a different diametre .. and this would only create another problem in the way that it would require a really really deep threaded lockring, I have quite a lot of spare lockrings to try , some shimano and sram and the ritchey lockring is deeper than all the shimano ones, the sram are a little deeper but not that much... :)

P20 wrote :

Jack....

I hav'nt got a XT 8spd cassette, but have a XTR and Sram 8spd cassette and these sit no differently or further into the freehub body.

Thanks for the suggestion jack, could be the answer , do you by any chance have a part no. for the XT cassette ? or do you know where I might get one from please.. this is seriously doing my head in now...

:roll: :roll: :?

Latest posts

Back