Ritchey 2 x 9 Help

2x9

Si, it won't fit. An 8 speed cassette is same total width as a 9, with smaller gaps between cogs on the 9, hence the need for a narrower chain. You can put an extra cog on a 7 to make it an 8 as the space remains the same, but not with a 9, you won't get the lock ring on. You must use a proper 9 speed spaced Cassette.
Also the extra width of adding a ninth cog may make it foul the chainstay.
Only alternative is to break down a Cassette and rebuild with new spacers all through. Just use a standard 9 speed Cassette?

Phil, its a ritchey 2 x 9 driveset, which has was designed to be used with a 8 spd freehub body fella. :) ;) so it will fit somehow, not sure yet how though.. :?

Fit

How can it fit? the indexing on the gears will be all wrong to start with surely as the gaps are wider on an 8 and where's the extra room going to come from if an 8 spd cassette is exactly the same size as a 9 width wise, which explains your problem.
As you said a normal 9 fits fine. What shifters are you using? Ritchey must have their own indexing to match then?

Hi Phil, I am using a full ritchey 2 x 9 setup, comprising of :

Front and rear Ritchey (Sram) Gripshifts

Additional 33t sprocket, spacer, and the two front chainrings..

I understand what you are saying fella, and the easiest soloution would be to be use a standard 9spd cassette on the 8 spd freehub body, but I want to run the full ritchey 2 x 9 system, ;)

There must be a way for this to fit... but can I hell work it out.. :roll: :(

Hubs

Must be the 33 won't push far enough onto the body then, is it the cassette body thats wrong? Some had spacers studs set into the body to give rear mech clearance to spokes. These could be removed have a look at the body?

Sithlord":mbnzl61p said:
Phil, its a ritchey 2 x 9 driveset, which has was designed to be used with a 8 spd freehub body fella. :) ;) so it will fit somehow, not sure yet how though.. :?

But but but... 8/9/10 speed freehubs are the same width. So all 9 speed cassettes will fit an "8 speed" freehub. The only way to fit 9 things where there used to be 8 is to put the 9 things closer together than the 8 were.

Mmmm never thought of that, I'll have a look on the cassette in the morning and see if thats the problem, I remember that some cassettes had these 'tabs' on the rear of the cassette body, I was sort of thinking that the 'spacer' that came with the kit fits inbetween the cassette freehub body and the 10mm fixing point ? on the hub... does that sound feasably ?

9er

That's what I'm trying to say, it simply wont fit without rebuilding the Cassette, but back then, when Cassettes first came out, you bought spacers and cogs seperately to suit and slotted them on, so maybe the full kit included narrow spacers? I remember building Roadie Time Trial bike cassettes for specific routes to suit, you could even build Cluster with just one cog steps for smooth flat routes, was a very flexible system.

Hopefully Al will come up with the answer,

I totally agree with you guys and cant for the life of me work it out.. as regard cassette spacers in the kit, well there were not any and nor did the kit come with any, according to all the sales data I have found the '9th' sprocket goes onto the freehub body with a 8 spd cassette.. ? must be something to do with using the thin spacer that comes with the kit.. and the only place I can see it might go is inbetween the freehub body and hub ?

Also as far as I know all the shimano 8spd cassettes are mounted on a carrier , unlike the earlier 7spd XT ones for eg.. which you could undo the three pins from the rear of the cassette and seperate and mix and match ratios.. :)

Back