Rigid carbon MTB forks - so light can they be safe....??

Re:

thanks for the info guys, the weights and the caution about the pace failures.

tbh i had never heard about that, but a bit of googling has set me straight. i wont be using them in future, too paranoid now. ignorance is bliss but picking yer teeth up of the floor isnt.

Re:

Right, well having perfected the 'bowl' method, I can confirm 830gms for definite, with the headset still attached. If, by some miracle, I get five minutes over the weekend to myself once work is out of the way, I will detach the headset and weigh again....using the now perfected bowl method!! :facepalm:

Re:

It was a very small plastic camping one, quite tricky in the end to balance forks on.... :roll:

But one perseveres for one's hobby....

:mrgreen:

Re:

You can use a cardboard box that is wider than a bowl for awkward shaped items but depending on the size, it may be difficult to see the display.

Re: Re:

02gf74":14xoe3dw said:
You can use a cardboard box that is wider than a bowl for awkward shaped items but depending on the size, it may be difficult to see the display.

This is the issue I had last night trying to weigh a tyre.... :LOL:

So this it probably unnecessarily domestic (domestique..? ;) ) but I use one like this so I can use the lip to hold the steerer/bars/etc in place - removing the need to hold forks etc upright.. ;)
55070_A_520.jpg

Re:

Oh blimey, no, I'm not going to that expense.... :shock:

Day off tomorrow (for that read - not as much work as usual) so in true Heath Robinson style, I am going to 'adapt' something, maybe one of the 5 litre water bottle I had been saving 'in case they come in useful'. (In fact I was going to try and make them into mini green houses.... :facepalm: )

Re:

Advice needed chaps - need to cut the steerer down, even allowing for the extremely short head tube on this frame, going to have to lop at least 2cms off.... How safe is it to just treat it as any ordinary steerer and use a hack saw...? Presumably wouldn't hurt to tape around it with something as a guide?

Will it splinter or anything, or are there specific blades to use? I'm a girl, so I won't be going at it all blase, but will take my time and get it right! :LOL:

Back