Reynolds 753t Tubing

roadking":3tt6plpo said:
pigman":3tt6plpo said:
I don't remember 653 until the mid 80's, by which time Merckx had long retired, but maybe i'm wrong.

I thought the same about a track frame needing beefed up rather than slimmed down tubes, so I'm thinking this might have been for pursuiting rather than sprint type events

I think the 653 Merckx connection is a little misleading. It may very well be that a frameset was built for the great man using a mix of tubes (i.e 753 and 531), and this mix may very well have been released eventually as 653 (in 1986) many years after Eddy's retirement in 1978.

I agree with your comment about track and pursuiting.

Jon.

I was told all this by a very experienced Reynolds man at the Leeds Bike Show. TBH, I've forgotten a lot of what he told me - there was so much! I never really caught on about Merckx and the date of 653. There must be a connection somewhere like Jon says.

Re:

There are two Merckxes: a cyclist who has nothing to do with R653 and a factory owner who was interested in them (EM claimed R753 are too delicate for TdF). The effects probably were not extraordinary, the frames from R653 were built in EM in 1988 and 1989, and the only team that used them was Hitachi in 1989.

Re:

Is it a road or a track frame? I've only ever known Raleigh to make frames in the 753T tubing, but of course any builder with the qualification and know how could have built with it..

Re: Re:

rusty bodie":363d7k97 said:
Is it a road or a track frame? I've only ever known Raleigh to make frames in the 753T tubing, but of course any builder with the qualification and know how could have built with it..

753T is the track tubeset and the SBDU built in both 753R* an 753T; when I ordered my SBDU from GoD I have the choice of 753R or 531Pro.

Mine's in the Pro tubeset and one of the last.

Rk.

*Road
N.B Reynolds touring tubeset - ST.

Re: Re:

roadking":238dwmj7 said:
rusty bodie":238dwmj7 said:

753T is the track tubeset and the SBDU built in both 753R* an 753T; when I ordered my SBDU from GoD I have the choice of 753R or 531Pro.

Mine's in the Pro tubeset and one of the last.

Rk.

*Road
N.B Reynolds touring tubeset - ST.

I've got a 531 Pro, 6323. Love it! What's the number on yours?

Back