Reusing Spokes/Nipples

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Years ago when starting out building wheels I did some internet based research and reached the conclusion that it was better not to reuse old spokes and nipples when building wheels. I forget the reasons why but at the time I was convinced.

The reading I did at that time (and the advice of a local bike mechanic) also put me off old trying to salvage old rims for rebuilding.

Since then I've often reused old hubs, but generally only built wheels with new rims, spokes and nipples. When rescuing hubs from knackered rims I've typically cut the spokes to save time.

These days I would like to save a few old rims and wouldn't mind saving a few quid on spokes either.

What are people's thoughts on here? Have I been binning perfectly decent stuff? Obviously it's not worth saving rounded off nipples and grotty galvanised spokes but if they look decent... And what about saving rims? Is cutting spokes cruel to old rims? Is it better to de-tension gradually?

Thanks guys!

I've often re-used spokes, rims and hubs if they're in decent condition and a reasonable quality. Nipples i tend to bin but have sometimes re-used in desperation. Despite quite a lot of fairly rough use, especially on the cross bike, i've never had a problem with either new or used spokes so i wouldn't worry about re-using wheel components.

Generally speaking, the only wheel component I would reuse is the hubs. For me, building a wheel is time and labour intensive, so in my opinion it's usually false economy to invest time and effort on used rims, used spokes and used nipples. And if the rim you are replacing is too dissimilar to the replacement rim, the spoke lengths may not be quite right so reuse will be sub-optimal or impossible.

However, there might be times when it makes sense. For example, if you suffered the misfortune of wrecking a new wheel built with new spokes. In that case, if you can get an identical replacement rim, then all the spokes will be the correct length. It's easy to then tape the new rim to the old rim, slacken all the spokes, and transfer the spokes one by one to the new rim. If you were wise enough to apply some grease to the spoke threads, then loosening the spokes without rounding the nipples will be relatively easy.

Most preferable to reuse
1. Hubs
2. Rims
3. Spokes
4. Nipples (brass)
5. Nipples (aluminium)
Least preferable to reuse

Numbers 2 and 3 could be exchanged with each other, depending on the condition of the rim and spokes.

Of course all of the above ignores that this is a retro forum, and for retro enthusiasts, authenticity is a strong motivating factor, so reuse is more likely, particularly for rims that are no longer in production. Some will want a 100% authentic build, and others will compromise. I accepted a long time ago that many 1990s parts are no longer in production, and that I would use whatever rims are currently in production and available in a suitable size. I found a pair of ceramic rims for sale in the right size, and that was good enough for me.

After a bugger of a job finding (pre-covid)the right size spokes for a build where I wanted to change the hubs (ended up getting them made to size in USA for an amazingly reasonable price) I keep all the spokes & brass nipples just in case.

I think hookooekoo describes it well for me.My local wheelbuilder,very skilled and experienced,not keen on using old spokes.Didn't give any technical explanation but I would trust his judgement over mine,so normally go with it unless the spokes are low mileage.And I've never had a wheel of his go out of true,barring extreme circumstances.
I have had a full set of spokes replaced due to them wearing a groove where they rub together.DT Swiss stainless,straight spokes.Took me ages to realise where the metallic pinging came from as I rode along.
It may be a case of the extra few quid makes a wheel build more viable for him but predominantly it's probably his professional integrity/quality of service.His guarantee if you like.

For professional mechanics it's often about saving time more than anything. Used parts often mean more messing about, if new spokes save time then they're worthwhile. As for spoke length, I'd never assume the length will be right, but it's more a case of whether it's worth saving, measuring, and stashing old spokes for future use...

I really like to re-use where possible, though only if the condition of components permits. I have friends who try and eke the life out of things to a frankly dangerous extent.

Like others have said, it's an investment of time. In my opinion, having built a lot of wheels for myself and other people, one of the reasons wheelbuilders like to use new spokes is that taking an old wheel to bits takes nearly as long as building a new wheel.

Time considerations aside, and with careful inspection of the components you're planning to re-use (before and after dis-assembly as a built wheel is more likely to show any rim issues) then you'll be fine. I've put new rims on ageing factory built wheels with alu spokes and nipples and the wheels have been good as new. I've even got a spoke threading tool which i use sometimes to add a thread or two onto an old spoke if i'm replacing a shallow rim with a deeper one and need a couple more turns.

Ultimately, if you are building a fairly standard, not super-lightweight set of wheels with traditional spoke patterns then it's unlikely to ever fail dangerously. I say give it a go and learn by doing it.

I've often re-used spokes, rims and hubs if they're in decent condition and a reasonable quality. Nipples i tend to bin but have sometimes re-used in desperation. Despite quite a lot of fairly rough use, especially on the cross bike, i've never had a problem with either new or used spokes so i wouldn't worry about re-using wheel components.

+1

You nailed it.

I tend to do rim swaps more often than new complete wheel builds. Never had problems, no need to re-lace the hub,
and gives an opportunity to balance rim wear between the front and rear. Top quality nipples can be re-used a few times,
the cheap nasty varieties are pretty much a one time use.

When all said and done, a lot actually depends on what the wheels are going to be used for - a show bike or something for a
loaded touring adventure I would ideally go for everything all new.

Ive built my own wheels a few times, some with new spokes, some with used. All have turned out fine. If I take a wheel apart I clean the spokes and stash them away so if needed in future, ready to use without too much hassle.

Nipples I keep if good, bin if not, same for spokes.

Well,if anybody's interested I've got a full set of slightly gammy galvanised spokes from a '92 Cro-Mega.And nipples.Don't want too much for them,50p each?😂

Latest posts

Back