RetroRoadRide Series - Rd 3: Peak District ~ AFTERMATH pg.4

Re: Re:

Uncle Monty":3icmiwtq said:
What's the final roll call then?
I have no idea. It would be useful if anyone who is coming posts up to confirm.

Presumably so far it's:

DSP (me)
Uncle Monty (Chris)
grumpycommuter (Karl)
bobbinogs (Robin)
bhill22 (Colin)
MAMIL65 - maybe
Longun - maybe
big_dave - maybe
day - maybe not

All welcome of course...

Re:

Thought I'd better give a few more specific directions for the start point.

SatNav will get you pretty close but assuming that you'll be coming from either the north or south along the A523.

map_1.jpg

From the North:

SatNav will most likely try to take you up Windmill Street here:

north_1.jpg

Ignore that and continue for just under 1/2 a mile.

north_2.jpg

1: At the traffic lights turn left up Byrons Lane.

final_1.jpg

2: Just after The Railway View Inn, turn left up Gunco Lane.

final_2.jpg

3: After about 100 yards, look for the big 'Hart Woods' sign and turn at 'Stanley Press Equipment'. Head down the slope to the car park behind the main mill building. Look for my red Vauxhall van which will be parked there.

----------------------------------

From the south:

south_1.jpg

1: At the traffic lights turn right up Byrons Lane.

final_1.jpg

2: Just after The Railway View Inn, turn left up Gunco Lane.

final_2.jpg

3: After about 100 yards, look for the big Hart Woods sign and turn at Stanley Press Equipment. Head down the slope to the car park behind the main mill building. Look for my red Vauxhall van which will be parked there.

Any problems, just give me a call.

Re: RetroRoadRide Series - Rd 3: Peak District ~ 01/06/14

Its going to be stonking!

Lets get those tan lines topped up....

See you all in the am.

Re: RetroRoadRide Series - Rd 3: Peak District ~ 01/06/14

...and a fantastic ride it was! Many thanks to Paul for sorting everything out and for all who turned out. My highlight was either the baked beans on a roll at the cafe stop or the 17% hill at the start, lovely :)

Ride stats here:

http://www.strava.com/activities/148245128

No piccies from me today, left the camera in the car, doh!

Great ride today with superb weather and awesome company.

According to my retro Cateye Mity 2 we clocked 47.64 miles in total, with an average speed of 13.3 mph over 3h :34m of riding time. Also recorded 51 mph on the drop into the Goyt Valley.

Tan lines well and truly topped up and heavy legs accomplished.

The first hill was surprisingly tough despite knowing what to expect. The rest was the usual ups and downs the Peak District delivers. I think Uncle Monty was the only one who remembered to bring his camera so I'm sure he has at least one photo.

Re:

What a day! Thanks to Paul for organising one of the best routes I've been on. Truly outstanding....and some sun-soaked memories.

Wishing I had brought crampons and rope as we hit the first climb, not been up
anything like that for a few years.

Babycinnos

Vinaigrette

Seeing 42mph plus on the cycle computer through teary eyes on one of the insane descents

Finally being slightly quicker than Robin although doing it in a car on the M6 probably doesn't count.

And finally the ascent of the Goyt valley was worth the drive alone, it really has to be experienced.

Re:

Only the one picture I am afraid. I was having too much fun and my photos couldn't do the scenery justice. Fantastic day out in good company as usual. We hit the jackpot with the weather and I am very glad I remembered sun screen. Superb route and my first time riding around the Peaks. First climb of the day I found the toughest. The descents were fantastic and the views were amazing on the climbs. Hats off to those guys doing the event - what was that 75 or 100 miles? I was battered after doing half that. Legs are tired today, got home just before 9 last night. Well worth the journey and looking forward to the next one.

Cheers - Chris.

Back