Retrobike Touring.

Re: Re:

Joe_Rides":2es66cjw said:
I too have been inspired by this thread, as well as reading various articles here and there for the last few months.

Thinking of doing Wales next year - Sustrans Route 8, Cardiff to Holyhead. Staying in B&B's because I've not toured before.

This is my cannondale m400 commute bike, which is the comfiest bike I currently own. It's aluminium. Do we think it would be up to the job of carrying heavy loads?

I would definitely prefer something in Steel and may end up building a specific "touring" bike. You know how it goes when you start looking on ebay........

No, no that definitely won't work. You will have to buy another bike.

(that was the answer you needed, right?)

Re: Re:

kingoffootball":scu3w072 said:
No, no that definitely won't work. You will have to buy another bike.

(that was the answer you needed, right?)

:D

Got my eye on a few little doozies already!!

Re:

Just finished my £16.50 Trek.

A few final tweeks and I can get some shakedown miles on the clock.

DSC_0054_zpshcigzstj.jpg

Re: Retro MTB Touring.

Looks absolutely ideally suited to the job. I rode the Pacific Coast of the USA on something very similar. Consider getting some mudguards! They make long rides way more bearable.

hamster":3k8psk86 said:
Consider getting some mudguards! They make long rides way more bearable.

If I like the way it rides and climbs, that is the next thing on the list.

Re:

Finally got the chance to have a shakedown ride after having the bl**dy coughing bug all over Christmas.

I'm really pleased with the way the Trek rides and my average speed was only 2kph slower than normal, which could easily be explained by lack of miles recently.

Not sure about the saddle, a nice Wrights that I got for sensible money. By the end of the ride the rivets were making their presence very well known. I might move it back and down a touch and give it another go.

Racks and mudguards next.

DSCN1321_zpsncwglygz.jpg

DSCN1332_zpsepcvkm9k.jpg

Touring on a Retro MTB, now that's my kind of thread. Recently finished my Orange P7 tourer, after selling a much heavier Thorn Nomad Rohloff. I think the result is about 99% as capable at 10% of the cost, and I got the pleasure of building it myself. Heading to the Scottish Highlands and western isles in May on it's maiden voyage.

Attachments

• 20160823_181054.jpg
    20160823_181054.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 487
  • 20160810_184318.jpg
    20160810_184318.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 485
  • 2016-08-23 18.12.46.jpg
    2016-08-23 18.12.46.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 487

Bump for the up and coming touring season. Come on everyone, get some panniers strapped on the old steel ! :)

Back