Retrobike Touring.

Re: Retro MTB Touring.

Real coincidence here been thinking of doing a bit of touring in the spring and bought a cargo trailer off gumtree last night then I came across this thread. I really enjoyed reading all 24 pages so much info

Re: Re:

2468Simon":37c2pvl3 said:
Glad I've found this thread :D

Just completed a small tour up to Scotland on my 1996\7 Marin

Some interesting features..... the air horn for instance. :shock:

IWe have another tour planned for 2018 (nothing like giving yourself time to prep LOL). Think of doing the beacons to Snowdon route seen on the TV a few weeks ago. Unsupported but B&B'ing it rather than tents as the wife will be along too.
My 1990 Muddyfox Prestige Comp made a good companion last time and I also have the Option of my Raliegh Team as both have rack mounts. I need to add some new luggage though and a top pack and handlebar bag from Topeak look winners (a mate used then for his lejog ride and really rates them).
Bar ends are essential for an MTB so you can move position and the Onza Ski Bends are great as you have 2 extra positions you can use. We did the tour as a group of friedns last time and it was a blast. 75 miles a day was easily achievable on road and the bikes worked out well.

Carl.

Re:

Already planning the THM Tour Mklll. Might get dropped in Derbyshire next July for a week of unsupported bimbling/camping.

I have a plan to enter the Tour Divide in 2018, on a rigid Salsa El Mariachi with a retro groupset. I'm amazed my wife has given me provisional permission to go and do it!

Re: Re:

NeilM":3k6atfaf said:
2468Simon":3k6atfaf said:
Glad I've found this thread :D

Just completed a small tour up to Scotland on my 1996\7 Marin

Some interesting features..... the air horn for instance. :shock:

Haha yes I use it now and again more for fun than anything

Re:

I too have been inspired by this thread, as well as reading various articles here and there for the last few months.

Thinking of doing Wales next year - Sustrans Route 8, Cardiff to Holyhead. Staying in B&B's because I've not toured before.

This is my cannondale m400 commute bike, which is the comfiest bike I currently own. It's aluminium. Do we think it would be up to the job of carrying heavy loads?

I would definitely prefer something in Steel and may end up building a specific "touring" bike. You know how it goes when you start looking on ebay........

Back