RetroBIKE general guide to stubborn bottom bracket removal

Re:

For leverage , I use long steel tubes of old vacuum cleaners I pick up in the streets when people throw them away !

but you need some "retro" cleaners :cool: - modern ones are often cheap or plastic stuff :roll:

Quite often, you can insert the handle of the tool you are using to unbolt

works a treat :idea: :LOL:

Re:

Headset press, plus gas, large hammer. Success! Blueridge sorted.

Other plastic one on the road frame was a pig. Dremel, chisel, drill, heat, swearing, hours but now out.

Re:

This method just got a 21 year old BB out of a steel frame with no damage and little effort. I removed the BB cable guide, placed the frame on a bit of wood on the floor and held it with my foot then pressed down hard on the massive spanner I have for BBs - out in no time. :D Thanks again LGF.

SP

Re:

The BB on my frame was very hard to get out, in the end I used my SIP air impact wrench to shift it:
41bOe-2RSpL._SY300_.jpg

Anyone else found these useful for shifting stubborn BB's?

I have had one, and only one, BB that wouldn't come out at all. The one that was in my Sunn Urge.

Decent quality tool bolted to BB + decent quality t-bar & 32 mm socket - no dice.
Add a metre of pipe to the mix. Ah, there she … oh. That would be the splines on the BB disintegrating, then.
Try the other side. Don't force too much. No, still no dice.
Fill BB shell with penetrating oil and leave. Try again. Nothing.
Tried the vice approach at work. Vice turned, BB didn't.
Impact wrench at work. Nada.

A new approach is required. BB is toast, so let's get a bit creative. Well, destructive.

"delicately remove" BB spindle and bearings, break the cartridge to separate the two sides and reduce "grip"

Tool in place, 1.5m of pipe, significant force … and … stripped splines on the other side.

I refuse to drill or cut near threads, so chemical means were applied. Steel frame with aluminium BB cups - caustic soda to the rescue.

Cause - significant amounts of corrosion, allied with what appeared to be paint, threadlock or powdercoat on the inside BB shell threads.

legrandefromage":1wm2yk9u said:
Shouting very loudly also helps with the most stubborn removals.
It does. Luckily, I live in France, so most of what I was shouting wasn't understood by the passing tourists.

Just a quick addition... I picked up one of these yesterday, From B&M, £4.99, IIRC..

rolson_zpstmu0ssek.jpeg

Telescopic handle, to 530mm, end can take a 1/2" drive socket. The BB tools usually take 24mm or 15/16th" socket
The pedal crank bolts are 8mm, but with 1mm thread. A 40mm length bolt stands just proud of the tool, and allows the 1/2" drive with socket to click in and grab the tool..

Back