Retro Trends

Marmite King":7j0dbthw said:
jez-4-bikes-max":7j0dbthw said:
Prediction for next year:

(Mystic Jez)

There will be a huge demand for:

Black amber walled tyres (Smokes, Xmax's etc)
Old style M737 (?) Deore XT (NOS or close to it)
Original factory restoration builds - i.e no bling. More black and silver.
Team replica bikes - THIS WILL BE THE BIG THING FOR SURE!

Does this mean I should keep the Kili Racer `till next year :?: :?:

I think that just like in the 90's people will move away from the coloured bits towards subtle black and silver builds! (Everything is cyclical ;) )Having said that with the general doom and gloom that surrounds us on a day to day basis, maybe we should push for the most colourful builds we can manage to keep the scene cheerful! :D

1' parts - stems, headsets and forks are al getting good money.
Conversely 1” frames haven’t been getting stupid high prices.

Makes perfect sense to me - if you've got a frame you're probably desperate for parts, if you haven't got a frame the price of parts will put you off ;-)

magicmistertea":2nos3xg6 said:
yea klein is so last season !!! :LOL:

dont worry, i am starting a sanctuary for them. no klein what ever it's condition or treatment will be turned away. you can be sure they will all get a good life here and always be looked after.
please feel free to pm me for the address of my sanctuary where you can either post, courier or deliver in person..no questions asked.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

BarneyRubble":3d1notf5 said:
I think that just like in the 90's people will move away from the coloured bits towards subtle black and silver builds!
My plan was to build my Stumpjumper with straight black and silver mainstream forged parts - XT, Phil, Ritchey, Mavic, Syncros, etc. good sturdy equipment, nothing fancy, steel bolts, axles, pedal spindles etc.

Then when everyone else is working on understated subtlety I'll be cunningly buying up the anodized bling ready to pimp all hell out of it. It can pay to be contrarian.

Nobody is allowed to get mad at me for this...
:shock:

When I first started poking around the board here I was amazed that folks were so ape-s#@t gaga over Konas. And I don't mean Hots and King Kahunas and stuff, but literally Cinder Cones and Lava Domes and Fire Mountains and some other very pedestrian frames. They are cool, sure. But resotration worthy I'm guessing not.

I think Kaiser's Stumpjumper starts the new trend. Steel Specialized frames...starting with steel Stumpjumpers from the late 80s and early 90s. Steel Stumpys are worthy of a little retro attention, as Kaiser proved, but then as the prices of those go nuts, folks will jump on the bandwagon for the less collectable and desireable Specialized models, like Rockhoppers Hard Rocks and newer M2 and M4 Stumpjumpers and A1 Rockshopper and other boiler plate asian aluminum frames. At some point, say by June of next year, somebody in some backwater town will buy a 5 year old Hot Rock and have it powdercoated (white...gotta be white!) and then slather it with Ringle bits...undoubtedly purple Ringle bits to boot! :shock:

That's my guess...get your Hard Rocks early and start saving today!

I'm also a little shocked that folks are asking about reconditioning weird and crappy forks like the RS Indy and Q10s and stuff. :? I mean, the Indy?! What a horrible fork! At least early Manitous were pretty to look at, but a pot metal cast elastomer Rock Shock wet-noodle? Save your money boys! :D Next up for Retro-Ness...Mozos...and maybe the Girvin Chubby. :LOL:

There have also been rumblings about Trek frames...nobody has been able to drum up any support for the older Trek bikes, and I think that will (unfortunately) change. Somewhere along the line next year folks will be bidding 200 bills for used Trek 930s with STX and those awful "System" components. Don't get snookered! Save your hard earned dough for a nice Fire Mountain! :D :D

You may now make fun of my Cannondale. :D

jez-4-bikes-max":3vjgpajc said:
And Marins.

:LOL:

Seriously underated.

Some of them there other 'off brand' bikes too...like KHS (Pink and Blue Montana Comps!) Jamis (Diablos and Eurekas with understay u-brakes!), Hunters, Dirt Researches, Mt Shastas and maybe even a Balance or Caloi or two...

Hey...Caloi made square stayed aluminum hardtails, remember, so some of you guys left out in the cold by rising Pace prices can run right out and buy up some Exage equiped Calois! :LOL:

kastles.

mainly because i saw a kastle today. havent seen one in years, and then there was a kid riding one to school

had the black LX cranks on it

Wonky Haro Extremes and Escapes...you know there are folks out there who are just dying to make Haro the next hot retro brand! :LOL: :LOL:

Back